My journey to change Chicken Laws in Citrus Heights, Ca ~ and keep my flock

I've just received a notice from CH PD Code Enforcement saying they received a complaint that code violations may exist as the complain received states: "property too small for roosters and chickens. please remove" but our land lord has already previously stated that he/she doesn't mind....so do we have to remove them?

I am interested in helping make te change. I too am in Citrus Heights and received a violation years ago and just gave my chucks away- I go to my friends to get fresh eggs in oranageve - I want chickens of my own.

My hats off to you for trying to change the Citrus Heights CITY codes pertaining to chickens. However i am on the other side due to what i'm dealing with! My new neighbor moved in(he has an acre) so i understand wanting some animals but remember we are a CITY know. Let me give you my history i was born and raised here since 1963 when we were part of sacramento county so i remember when people had big lots and people were considerate of their neighbor by only having a few chickens. Not anymore as i will tell you what several of my neighbors have to deal with. A Russian family has moved in along with 300 chickens including 20 roosters. within 5 months there is nothing but dust and smelly chicken crap we cant enjoy our back yard! lastly how would you like if i put a siren next to your window every couple of hours while you are trying to sleep and wake you up? So please think of all residents when you try to change this code to fit your needs, because some day you may have a homeowner next to you who wants to change the laws allowing more than 10 barking dogs in a 10,000 sq. foot yard.

Another letter to the City

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to request the City Council/ City planning board revise the current Citrus Heights City Code to allow residents in single family homes to keep chickens. The current city code includes fowl/poultry in the ordinance for keeping livestock under 75 pounds.

When the City of Citrus Heights became a city, January 1, 1997, they adopted the same livestock municipal code that we had in Unincorporated Sacramento County prior to our incorporation. It is time for these codes to be reviewed to better meet the needs of our residents. Many of the cities around us have recently modified their codes to allow poultry in residential neighborhoods. In fact, Citrus Heights has some of the least “backyard chicken friendly” animal ordinances in the area.

Local Poultry Codes:
City

Ordinance

Number allowed

Restrictions

Davis

40 ft from property line
Folsom

20 ft from property line
Granite Bay

5,000 Sq feet
Rancho Cordova

20 ft from neighboring residence
Roseville

20 ft from property line
Sacramento

20 ft from neighboring residence
Woodland

With the rise in popularity in raising chickens, and the rising price of eggs many residents would like to be allowed to keep hens. I would suggest a change in the code to allow one hen for every 1,000 square feet, or something similar. I would be happy to work with the planning department to develop an ordinance the makes sense for our community, and promotes independence and self-sufficiency for our residents.
clip_image002.jpg

Thank you for your time,
Elizabeth Smart

My hats off to you for trying to change the Citrus Heights CITY codes pertaining to chickens. However i am on the other side due to what i'm dealing with! My new neighbor moved in(he has an acre) so i understand wanting some animals but remember we are a CITY know. Let me give you my history i was born and raised here since 1963 when we were part of sacramento county so i remember when people had big lots and people were considerate of their neighbor by only having a few chickens. Not anymore as i will tell you what several of my neighbors have to deal with. A Russian family has moved in along with 300 chickens including 20 roosters. within 5 months there is nothing but dust and smelly chicken crap we cant enjoy our back yard! lastly how would you like if i put a siren next to your window every couple of hours while you are trying to sleep and wake you up? So please think of all residents when you try to change this code to fit your needs, because some day you may have a homeowner next to you who wants to change the laws allowing more than 10 barking dogs in a 10,000 sq. foot yard.
There is a huge difference between allowing 10 hens, and having hundreds. I am asking that the code be changed to allow residents to keep a few hens (no roosters). They would still be regulated under the city codes for smell, noise, waste, ect. Just like dogs and cats. I'm hoping for a happy medium that will work for both residents who want to keep chickens, and those who don't.

Oh those Russians! Did they play balalaika under your window as well? ))You must of had a hard time to count the stock. ))
Seriously. Looks to me TS is asking for a common sense only. We have a 10 hens and a rooster and not a single complain from our neighbors in 4 years time.
Poultry of 320 is a Commercial Farm which is not allowed in residential area. Period. No such activity can last for 5 months heavy penalties will apply immediately.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom