My JUMBO Italian Celadon Project

First chick hatched!! No idea what color this looks like. Black on the back and yellow on face and under its body. Harder to see into this incubator than the 360 (hence the 360 name for the view). If I dont stop myself ill post every chick that hatches so ill post at the end with some good photos of them.

Attachments

• First G1 C.jpg
    First G1 C.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 10
  • First G1 C . .jpg
    First G1 C . .jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 11
18 have hatched so far! All different colors I will map out when they feather out a bit and I can be more sure. Unfortunately one of the hatchlings died last night. But otherwise they are all looking great! Still seems there are plenty of eggs to hatch🤞. Ill post some pictures when they are in their brooder.

Alrighty, Im calling it on the hatch. 18 hatched! Had a few issues with some so 16 eligible breeders. More than enough. Its looking like a lot of Extended brown tuxedos and a few without tuxedo. One thats looking like an Egyptian, one that could be a couple things (including a pearl or italian which would be super exciting!), then a few almost totally white with a few grey splotches. Ill update when they are a few weeks old and I can tell colors apart.
All of my first hatch have survived and are looking great. I got a few surprise Pansys in the hatch! Absolutely did not expect that. I was actually about to buy some of my first pansy eggs as they are my new favorite color when I noticed some pansy looking feathers showing up. its looking like 3 to be exact. Hopefully 1 rooster and 2 hens so I can produce a few more. 2 Pharaohs also looking good. They are all 2 weeks old now so they are mostly feathered. Just one more week before I should be able to sex them a bit better. The one Manchurian is still going strong. Im praying for a rooster as that would be a pain to only be able to set a few eggs at a time from one hen, and its probably not great for the future of this line. Heres a few pictures (and yes I know its time to clean the brooder😂)

Attachments

• 1:1 Manchurian from G1 F.jpg
    1:1 Manchurian from G1 F.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 1:3 Pansy from G1 F .jpg
    1:3 Pansy from G1 F .jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 1:11 Italian from G1 F.jpg
    1:11 Italian from G1 F.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 7
  • G1 C hatch picture1.jpg
    G1 C hatch picture1.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 7
  • G1 C hatch picture2.jpg
    G1 C hatch picture2.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 8
  • G1 F all chicks.jpg
    G1 F all chicks.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 7
Alrighty, Im calling it on the hatch. 18 hatched! Had a few issues with some so 16 eligible breeders. More than enough. Its looking like a lot of Extended brown tuxedos and a few without tuxedo. One thats looking like an Egyptian, one that could be a couple things (including a pearl or italian which would be super exciting!), then a few almost totally white with a few grey splotches. Ill update when they are a few weeks old and I can tell colors apart.
All of my first hatch have survived and are looking great. I got a few surprise Pansys in the hatch! Absolutely did not expect that. I was actually about to buy some of my first pansy eggs as they are my new favorite color when I noticed some pansy looking feathers showing up. its looking like 3 to be exact. Hopefully 1 rooster and 2 hens so I can produce a few more. 2 Pharaohs also looking good. They are all 2 weeks old now so they are mostly feathered. Just one more week before I should be able to sex them a bit better. The one Manchurian is still going strong. Im praying for a rooster as that would be a pain to only be able to set a few eggs at a time from one hen, and its probably not great for the future of this line. Heres a few pictures (and yes I know its time to clean the brooder😂)
Oh yay for surprise Pansy Fees! What an exciting find! The Manchurians sure are pretty too! I’m happy you had so many hatch! Fingers crossed for the boy Manchurian!

Wow its been since July 10th since I updated!!! Sorry! Well now all fawn and celadons are mature and ready for breeding. Ive got 7 celadon hens, and kept 4 celadon roosters. I have made a cage (soon to be divided into two cages once I free up some space and use some up in the freezer), with two Manchurian roosters, and the 7 celadon hens. Then a cage with my italians and a silver italian celadon rooster. I added the second cage together on Thursday so they aren't ready for incubation but I did just start incubating some from the first cage. 37 bright blue eggs hopefully long enough that they are fertilized by the Manchurian males. 16 days left! Anyways sorry for the lack of updates a lot has happened here and Ive just kind of been waiting on the quail!

Does anyone have a farm they got celadons at they really like or would recommend? I saw that paradise poultry has them. Ive never gotten anything from paradise but hear good things. @FloorCandy, did you like the celadons you got?

Ive been looking at rising Phoenix farm as well and they have a relatively good price.

Update on Paradise Poultry:

60$ for 12 celadon eggs!!! Thats a little insane for me. I think I will probably go with rising phoenix unless I find a better one.
Probably for the better. I don't think you want to ship your eggs from Hawaii. Combined with my first-time mistakes, the hatch rate wasn't that great and I only live a short flight away -- a few islands up the chain.

So true about it being addictive, I went local to buy 10 birds came back with 30 English whites, hatched a hundred, found a quail egg auction on Facebook :weebought 120, hatched some more while waiting on the 120, then one of mine laid a blue egg! Definitely need, need some of those. THEN (what! they come in button size too, ordered some of those!!), , all the while building cages:confused:. With more eggs in the incubator, so gotta butcher 200 to show hubby there’s a purpose for this madness :lau
then tradegy struck: hubby said he thought we had enough quail for right now. :( Cage building stopped! No more water lines run.300 I’m sure is enough, I’ll make do. Lol
So I’m stuck with my assortment of colors,few celadons, babies off my “first quail” English whites, I’m a wreck, cause I just love them all.
I think I’ve been here before: this is how I ended up with eight Shih tzu. You would think after 32 years hubby would know what was going to happen before hand. lol
I can have 30 birds he said.....:plbb:plbb:plbb
There are worse addictions. Quail are useful.

I told my husband that my limit was two dozen. I don't think he minds the birds as much as the mess I make when trying to build more housing for them.

Anyhow, I'm sure he likes that it keeps me busy.

Wow its been since July 10th since I updated!!! Sorry! Well now all fawn and celadons are mature and ready for breeding. Ive got 7 celadon hens, and kept 4 celadon roosters. I have made a cage (soon to be divided into two cages once I free up some space and use some up in the freezer), with two Manchurian roosters, and the 7 celadon hens. Then a cage with my italians and a silver italian celadon rooster. I added the second cage together on Thursday so they aren't ready for incubation but I did just start incubating some from the first cage. 37 bright blue eggs hopefully long enough that they are fertilized by the Manchurian males. 16 days left! Anyways sorry for the lack of updates a lot has happened here and Ive just kind of been waiting on the quail!
Spoken like a budding addict!

You're talking about the next hatch after just putting a new hatch in!

Back
Top Bottom