My Khaki Campbell Disappeared!

Mcummings2

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2018
Northeast Ohio
I have a male Pekin and a female Khaki Campbell that are 5 months old. The Pekin always follows the Khaki around while she forages, they are very close and have been since ducklings. The Khaki disappeared the other day and has not returned. I tried calling for her and driving around the block. No dead ducks in the road or ditches, so that was a relief.

I've read that it's common for them to disappear for days at a time. Where could she be and why would she leave her boyfriend hanging? He's been so upset without her, he stands on the patio quaking all day, waiting for her to come back. She has laid eggs in their duck house and was laying on them, so I'm surprised she disappeared. I also read that they can have a nest somewhere else, but I searched the yard and woods and found nothing. Maybe a predator scooped her up? I don't see a trace of any feathers. Just a strange situation and I'm worried and sad for the both of them.

Note: She CAN fly, but I've only ever seen her get about 5 feet high.

Last edited:
So sorry she disappeared did she ever try to fly? As far as more females either more Pekins or another breed that is considered large. I wouldn’t go for Runners or Calls.

I am sorry, so upsetting. TO be rather brutally honest, when my females disappeared that way(mainly Muscovy) they were taken by predators.

If your near woods, common ones.. coyote, wolves, foxes etc.

Man! I feel like tons of ducks have gone missing lately. It is so so sad...I hope mine are not in the list! I would say she flew away. Considering the duck that can fly is the one that went missing and not the ground bound pekin.

She is definitely more wild than Sunny, the Pekin. We could never touch or hold her like we can with him. It's even been a pain in the ass lately just trying to get her back in the coop at night because she wanted nothing to do with it.

Poor Sunny duck stands on the patio, quacking endlessly all day waiting for her to return. That selfish ho left her eggs and her mate for a life in the wild. I have to get some ducklings soon because he's so lonely and I know it's not good to just have one duck.

Try looking on craigslist for another female or two maybe pekin since they don't fly and you wouldn't have to worry about another one flying off. Are you sure a predator didn't snatch her? It would be best to get adults because Sunny couldn't be around female ducklings until they were of breeding age usually 5 months old which would make him still lonely for quite a while.

Try looking on craigslist for another female or two maybe pekin since they don't fly and you wouldn't have to worry about another one flying off. Are you sure a predator didn't snatch her? It would be best to get adults because Sunny couldn't be around female ducklings until they were of breeding age usually 5 months old which would make him still lonely for quite a while.

That was my other thought as well because ducklings can't be introduced for some time. Unfortunately, there's not much for sale around here because I live in the suburbs and not the country. I haven't seen any feathers or blood, but I heard foxes can snatch up ducks and not leave a trace.

Back
Top Bottom