My Khakis are sooo LOUD!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by conroy, Aug 20, 2010.

1. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    OK so I love them and so far the neighbors don't seem to mind....but my Khaki Campbell ducks are sooooo loud... we named them Abigail and Amelia (from Aristocats) Is this breed notoriously LOUD?

2. GMT

GMT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Tucson
    They're supposed to not be that loud, at least, as far as ducks go. I'm finding that, with ducks, you have to re-baseline your idea of what "quiet" means. I'm also finding that my definition of "does not fly" and my ducks' definition of that same phrase are apparently quite different. I'm finding out lots of things like that, actually. [​IMG]

3. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, I have 14 ducks, two of them Khaki Campbell. They are still young (hatched on July 7), so I haven't noticed loudness----------yet. I do know that females are usually louder than males, so maybe you have two females.[​IMG]

4. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    I do have 2 females and one male... the male is very quiet

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My khakis were quiet. I had a mouthy buff once. I sold her so the neighbors wouldn't shoot me. Now I am selling one of my Welsh Harlequins because she is louder than the buff was!!!

It's an individual thing.

6. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    thanks for the response [​IMG] she is a busy body for sure.... her sister isn't as loud but she's close.... idk I might have to find her a new home.... we are gonna wait a while and see... she is only 13 weeks old at this point... maybe she will grow out of it

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Khaki Campbells loud?

Try Pekins LOL

Beside being the loudest ducks there are Pekins are going to eat you out of your house, and make you clean your kiddy pool three times a day (unless you are the lucky owner of a pond or access to a river).

To their defence (Pekings) they lay lots of huge eggs and make excellent meat duck too.

I switched to Campbells since I just want baking eggs do not care for duck meat. Campbells are less noise, less mess, less cleaning.

So far Campbells are fitting my bill.

8. javajanie

javajanie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Southern MD
    My sister in law has a Campbell mix and she is so loud! Of course, I have a bachelor pad around here, so when I'm around someone's girls they always shock me with how loud they are, no matter what breed!

9. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I have a cayuga (at least that is what I think she is) that is sooooooooo loud, I have to find her a legal home..she has blown my cover and I am certain she can be heard two states away!

10. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    We are just nervous someone will make a sound complaint... and when we are in the yard with people she is louder.... if I yell at my dogs or say something loud she gets louder....well they... it's both Khaki girls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by