My lab just tried to kill one of my hens!

Its Just Us Chickens

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Mississippi
I heard one of the chickens squawking a bit ago and went outside to check on her. My lab puppy had it in her mouth shaking it. As soon as the dog saw me she knew she was in trouble and let let the chicken go and took off running. The chicken crawled up under the central air unit in the backyard and I can't get to her so I don't know if she's OK or not.
sad.png

I'm going to have to get a chain and put my dog on it. I so hate to do that.

I have a cross breed blk lab/beagle and he is the best dog I have ever had. Labs are retrieving bird dogs so a lot will be instinct but proper training can go a long way. Mine so far has not tried to hurt anything because he knows what I think about that. I even took him in the house to see how he would react to the cat and all he wanted to do was play. The cat had different ideas though.
tongue.png

We had something similar happen our dog (red healer) has been with our chickens for two years and then suddenly one Sunday afternoon my daughter screams and the dog comes up to the house with her favorite chicken "Matilda" in her mouth. Her neck was snapped and we had to put her out of her misery. It was an awful thing to happen lots of tears and a funeral later. The dog now goes in his run while the chickens are out and vice versa. Sorry to hear about yours that is hard to deal with. Good Luck

Our neighbors chocolate did that twice. The first time, she just managed to pull out a few wing feathers. The second chicken wasn't so lucky.
I have a little cairn terrier mix who would love to get the chickens. She is never outside unless on a leash. When the chickens are roaming, my dog isn't tied out unless I am out there to supervise.

Your chicken is scared. Try making a treat and sit quietlywith it in hopes she will come out so you can look her over.

I'm sorry. If you can get to her at some point soon, wrap her in a towel and keep her nice and warm. She can be virtually unharmed and still go into shock from the, er, shock.

Good luck,
Sarah

I wish you the best of luck with your hen.
fl.gif
I've had them go into hiding and come out the next day so there is still hope. I used to have problems with the raccoons and owls. Since I have dogs, the wildlife is no longer fed by my chickens. However, now all my chicken pens are "dog" proof. Examples: plywood or wire floors Also, I longer allow them to free range. I do plan to later. I will just build a inescapable dog pen first.

Good Luck...

How I've feared this with my lab mix. She's overly playful and she'd get pretty rough pretty quick, and she's still a pup.

Just keep the hen inside for awhile giving her some extra care. She's going to need your attention.

I can't find her now. I fixed her a treat and was going to take it out to her, but she wasn't there. She may have gotten under the house. They've gotten under there before and roosted on the support beams. It's too dark to see her. I wish could find her tonight, I'd like to know she's OK, but maybe she'll come out tomorrow.

My hubby crawled under the house and found her form me. SHe has a big chunk of feathers missing on one side of her neck, but that seems to be the worst of it. She's not interacting with the other chickens and she's not interested in food. What should I do for her now?

Wrap her in a towel and bring her in. Put her somewhere warm and dark. When she's warmed up and relaxed, put her in a dog crate inside where it's warm - covered with a towel is perfect if you have one. I'd give her some water. Let her destress for today so the stress doesn't kill her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom