1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My ladies first eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catdaddy66, Oct 2, 2010.

1. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I watered my girls on wednesday 9/29/10 and had no eggs, though I know my BSL's are ready to lay. My EE's, RIR's and BR's are about 3 weeks younger. Today I open the coop door and see 4 eggs on the floor near the H2O/feeder!! Then I looked and saw 14 in 4 of the 6 nest boxes!!! WOW!!!!

I will take many pics and post them on the new egg thread ASAP; My DW and I are jazzed about becoming chicken farmers...FINALLY!! I have had these birds since 5/1/10 and have been expecting the "event" for a few weeks, knowing different breeds lay at varying ages but mostly around 18-22 weeks. None of the eggs are blue/green, so the EE's are not yet producing, but I know that they will!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow! 18 eggs all at once. How many hens do you have?

3. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Way to go!!! I am waiting now but with the days shorter and the weather getting colder, I may have to wait for Spring. What a nice surprise for you!! Keep up the good work and enjoy your fried eggs.

4. catdaddy66

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:Sorry! So excited was I that I forgot to count them...I have three each of the 4 breeds, 12 total. Only 9 could be laying and of the 9, 3 BSL's are the oldest by 3 weeks. They looked to be 3-4 weeks old when I bought them from the local F & S 5/1, and the others looked to be 1 week at best.

5. catdaddy66

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Sorry again, guys. I cannot find my cord to my camera so until it is located I cannot upload the pics. I am also going to get shots of the girls in their boxes! Please bear with me, I promise I will have visuals matching my descriptions.

6. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    Yay! Congrats! [​IMG] My white leghorn laid her first egg yesterday!! I only have 6 chickens and i am waiting for the other five to start laying.... and it's taking FOREVER!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by