1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My layers are on strike still

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dingleberry, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    I have 11 girls, 4 are 2+ years, 3 are 1+ year, and the rest are last summer girls.
    I have put lcd christmas lights in the coop on a timer to suppliment their light. However they are not laying well. They get about 12 hrs of light a day, free range for 2 hrs, have unlimited feed access a day but I only get about 4 eggs a day. What am I doing wrong?????

2. ladybug99

ladybug99 Songster

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I am right there with you...mine are a little over a year old.... haven't layed well since August, they did molt the end of September.... I have treated them for lice, wormed them, and taken away the extra roosters, supplemented thier light and thier diet... mine are truely on strike!!!
    I have another group of girls that are laying very nicely... so I can not figure it out for the life of me why!!!

But I am hangng in there till spring and then I am hoping for and Egg explosion [​IMG]

3. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Songster

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Hens like a dark nest box to rest in,sounds like the lights are your problem.
    The days are getting shorter,really causes hens to stop laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by