My layers are on strike still

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dingleberry, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    I have 11 girls, 4 are 2+ years, 3 are 1+ year, and the rest are last summer girls.
    I have put lcd christmas lights in the coop on a timer to suppliment their light. However they are not laying well. They get about 12 hrs of light a day, free range for 2 hrs, have unlimited feed access a day but I only get about 4 eggs a day. What am I doing wrong?????

2. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I am right there with you...mine are a little over a year old.... haven't layed well since August, they did molt the end of September.... I have treated them for lice, wormed them, and taken away the extra roosters, supplemented thier light and thier diet... mine are truely on strike!!!
    I have another group of girls that are laying very nicely... so I can not figure it out for the life of me why!!!

But I am hangng in there till spring and then I am hoping for and Egg explosion [​IMG]

3. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Hens like a dark nest box to rest in,sounds like the lights are your problem.
    The days are getting shorter,really causes hens to stop laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by