My leghorn hasn't laid in 11-12 days

chickmomma03

Songster
Aug 8, 2015
North Carolina
I have a Leghorn, Ghost, 9mos old (36wks to be exact). She hasn't laid in at least 11-12 days now (none from her since the new year, I want to say last was on the 30th of dec, but that batch of eggs gathered is already gone). Production has slowed with the others who are laying, but they're still laying (buff orp, 2 gc sex link, 4 ee) at least every other day, some are still laying every day. I caught her today and checked her vent area, no hardness, nothing unusual. I was worried so I needed to check her, and it wasn't too fun to try to catch her. She's a fast one, doesn't like to be held (she's been that way since I got her), so I had to trap her in the coop, she was mad lol.

Anyways, the weather has been fairly crappy. We've had rain and colder temps, today is the first fairly warm day we've had for a while. Water was freezing at night, but I started running the hose on trickle at night (outside the coop) so it wouldn't freeze and then I just started changing it in the morning when I open the coop. Temps during the day have been in 40s and 50s, at night it's been hitting upper 20s to low 30s (just enough for water to freeze). Last night no freeze temps and today it's 60s.

With my others still laying, though production has slowed, it has me a little concerned about her. She's not acting lethargic/unusual/sick, she's not sneezing, she's not breathing through her mouth, she's still very active, eating/drinking fine. So should I just continue to keep an eye on her?

Note:I'm their only caretaker. I open the coop every morning before sun is up all the way, and I close it every evening after they've gone in and sun is down. They have access to feed and water at all times. They have oyster shells. They get treats, but not excess amounts of them.

Second note:I'm positive of age. I bought all of them as day olds and hand raised them. She was the first to start laying, and has been laying very consistently until this happened.

Third note:There was an incident that happened a little after she stopped laying, I'm not exactly sure what, but one of the pullets somehow was outside the run. The top part of one of the sides of the run was bent down. I went out because my rooster was doing his distress call. The pullet that was out wasn't her though, it was one of the EE. The EE that was out is very loving with me so when I called her over she just came running across the yard and let me pick her up and put her back in the run. I went and fixed the area that was down, but I don't know if it was a neighbor cat trying to get in or what. Whatever happened, none of the babes were physically harmed.

I know it's long, but trying to give as much background as possible.

I have a Leghorn, Ghost, 9mos old (36wks to be exact). She hasn't laid in at least 11-12 days now (none from her since the new year, I want to say last was on the 30th of dec, but that batch of eggs gathered is already gone). Production has slowed with the others who are laying, but they're still laying (buff orp, 2 gc sex link, 4 ee) at least every other day, some are still laying every day. I caught her today and checked her vent area, no hardness, nothing unusual. I was worried so I needed to check her, and it wasn't too fun to try to catch her. She's a fast one, doesn't like to be held (she's been that way since I got her), so I had to trap her in the coop, she was mad lol.

Anyways, the weather has been fairly crappy. We've had rain and colder temps, today is the first fairly warm day we've had for a while. Water was freezing at night, but I started running the hose on trickle at night (outside the coop) so it wouldn't freeze and then I just started changing it in the morning when I open the coop. Temps during the day have been in 40s and 50s, at night it's been hitting upper 20s to low 30s (just enough for water to freeze). Last night no freeze temps and today it's 60s.

With my others still laying, though production has slowed, it has me a little concerned about her. She's not acting lethargic/unusual/sick, she's not sneezing, she's not breathing through her mouth, she's still very active, eating/drinking fine. So should I just continue to keep an eye on her?

Note:I'm their only caretaker. I open the coop every morning before sun is up all the way, and I close it every evening after they've gone in and sun is down. They have access to feed and water at all times. They have oyster shells. They get treats, but not excess amounts of them.

Second note:I'm positive of age. I bought all of them as day olds and hand raised them. She was the first to start laying, and has been laying very consistently until this happened.

Third note:There was an incident that happened a little after she stopped laying, I'm not exactly sure what, but one of the pullets somehow was outside the run. The top part of one of the sides of the run was bent down. I went out because my rooster was doing his distress call. The pullet that was out wasn't her though, it was one of the EE. The EE that was out is very loving with me so when I called her over she just came running across the yard and let me pick her up and put her back in the run. I went and fixed the area that was down, but I don't know if it was a neighbor cat trying to get in or what. Whatever happened, none of the babes were physically harmed.

I know it's long, but trying to give as much background as possible.
How much light are they getting? Chickens need 12 - 14 hours of light in order to lay. Have you introduced any new birds or switched up their diet?

Otherwise, it's completely natural for chickens to randomly stop laying, even the Leghorn egg machines. I had several Leghorns, and they stopped laying for several months. They currently began to lay again. If your hen is not acting sick, then I see no reason to keep an eye on her.

No new birds, no dietary switch. Sun comes up at about 6:45ish and goes down by around 6-6:15pm. Shorter days. I don't supplement lighting in the coop so it's sunlight. I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. I checked feathering, vent and under vent for any unusual hardness, she's not lethargic, eating/drinking well, etc.

Good background info!

Any chance she found another place to lay out in range or run area?

She could have been spooked by whatever bent over the run fencing.

As long as she's eatingdrinkingpooping and is active as normal....not much you can do.

One thing I've learned about chickens consistency?....it's inconsistent. :-|

Yea, I checked the run and all the potential places in the coop. I clean the coop and run once a week (aside from poop/clean up of other debris duty as needed throughout the week). I also need to remember to try to find some food grade DE when I go for monthly food/bedding run as a preventative don't I? Or how often do you use a preventative? And if no signs on chickens themselves do you still treat chickens or not? Sorry, I know that's OT, but it's something I should probably start thinking about with warmer weather coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom