My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014

Don't forget your fringe vest for your trip, Blooie! :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Yea! Chicks! That sounds awesome!

We will be in a group of 30 going so hopefully all will be safe. 3 days left! Enjjoy them and keep us updated. Plus we neeed photos of them!
  2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Oh yeh, and picture my Mom and Dad both in matching white hip hugger, bell bottom jeans and matching shirts and windbreakers, in every vacation photo.....nicely posed in front of his blue Firebird (which my brother and I were stuffed into the back of.....[​IMG] )
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    What country are you going to? I'm headed off on my first Mission trip (to Guatemala) July 9. I'll be doing soil testing, and teaching gardening techniques, depending on what I see for needs in that area. We'll also be doing eye glass clinic, working with children in outlying villages, doing feeding programs, light construction. There are about 14 of us going. Hubby will be taking care of things at home. he's so NOT a farmer. So, I also covet prayers. I don't do heat well. Get physically ill if over heated. Also get sick if I don't eat when I need to. Speaking of sick... getting over a summer cold now. But, that's a blessing, b/c I should be all over it by the time I leave.

So glad you have those babies. Now, you take care of yourself, no chickie hugging unless you have a MD say so! Plenty of rest to get over that cold. I do hope you didn't get it from me! I'm such a wimp when it comes to being sick.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Prayers for all you folks going on mission trips. I found out years ago I'm not called to go, my job was to work and provide financial support. Well, not so much for the working the last few years, but prayer support is just as important!

Dr appointment yesterday. I told him what I'd done on my own to manage the edema in my legs. Weight was down 5lbs in a week, bp 130/80 so no issues there. He wasn't thrilled I'd done my own thing, but agreed the ends justified the means and wrote a script for the higher dose meds I'd been doing. Otherwise labs stable.

Found where the momma hen had brooded her chicks, pretty sure they were all hers. So, I have 10 Dark Cornish/Ameraucana cross chicks....I can't imagine a more worthless cross. I guess the pullets will be green egg layers and have a tendency to go broody, but I don't think they'll be great layers and the cockerels won't have much meat from what I imagine. Oh well, momma hen's thrilled with them, I'll just enjoy them for the time being.
    1 person likes this.
  5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Rachel, please do what it takes to get the edema down in your legs like you're doing. Keep your legs up as much as possible and hopefully someone can massage lotion on them.
  6. N F C

N F C home again! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Good morning everyone!

Rachel, how are your legs? Is the edema going down? Congrats on the 5 lb. loss!

Blooie & hbhoffman, travel safely.

Hope you all have a good day!
    1 person likes this.
  7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Summer is a busy time and it is easy to do too much.
    Take it slow.
    Take a rest, pace yourself.
    We know these things, but we tell ourselves, "Just one more hour then I'll get out of the heat", "One more row, then I will stop weeding"- When you notice you are tired or hot, stop.
    Easier said than done, but you are still fragile even if you don't want to be.
  8. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Cheers to all for this coming week!
    Rachel, Stay healthy, rest and take a photo of the chicks if you can. Wish we were closer, I could use some chicks to break my broody cream legbar.
    Anyone ever put chicks under a broody? How did it turn out?

9. N F C

N F C home again! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    I'd take some of those chicks too. It just occurred to me that we are down to 13 chickens.

Rachel, why are you living on the opposite corner of the country from me???
  10. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I had a broody Serama that got killed by a snake a couple of days after hatching 3 chicks (the snake couldn't eat the hen, though it did eat one of the chicks). We had another Serama in a rabbit cage that had gone broody at about the same time, which I suspected was sitting on duds. BB2K (that's an abbreviation of my DD's screen name, for those who don't know) took one of the remaining chicks, and put it in the cage with the broody. She looked at it suspiciously, and pecked gently at it. When BB2K opened the cage door to possibly remove the chick, the hen put her head on top of the chick and pulled him to her, then rather firmly tucked him under her wing. As you can imagine, BB2K had no qualms about giving her the other chick! (We removed her eggs and candled them - yep, they were a lost cause). So that one time, we got a triumph from two tiny tragedies. I suspect that one of the reasons it worked so well, is that the second hen had been sitting for about the right length of time, so her "timer" was ready for chicks to appear.
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by