My leukemia's back.

My dad has a couple of suspicious spots that were biopsied and test came back as Basal Cell Carcinoma. They scheduled surgery for February - three months from now! Doctor says that is the first available appointment. Is this too lang to wait for surgery to remove it?

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, the surgeon said it was OK the wait 3 weeks for the surgery to remove it, since he was going to Italy on vacation for 2 weeks. Then he was upset when I said "If we can wait 3 weeks, then we will wait 4 so I can enjoy Easter with my family." I had the surgery the day before my birthday.

My dad has a couple of suspicious spots that were biopsied and test came back as Basal Cell Carcinoma. They scheduled surgery for February - three months from now! Doctor says that is the first available appointment. Is this too lang to wait for surgery to remove it?
From what little I understand, both basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas rarely metastasize. That being said, I've been able to have mine addressed shortly after biopsy results.

I wouldn't be happy with such a long wait...

But then again... do you have options? Can you call around, find a surgeon with a GREAT reputation and an earlier slot?

Sadly, often the best ones are booked, and the ones with open slots are the ones you don't want.....

But again... you don't know what is out there until you look.

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, the surgeon said it was OK the wait 3 weeks for the surgery to remove it, since he was going to Italy on vacation for 2 weeks. Then he was upset when I said "If we can wait 3 weeks, then we will wait 4 so I can enjoy Easter with my family." I had the surgery the day before my birthday.
I hope there is a cancellation list and that he can get in sooner.

Friends, we need prayers/ positive thoughts - whatever works for you. Our daughter has been diagnosed with breast cancer and is having a double mastectomy tomorrow. The prognosis is good, and we choose to believe that all will be okay. Her attitude is incredible, but that is no surprise.
Just seeing this. Hope all went well. I go in for my yearly exam/mammogram next Thursday. I had a spot on the right they were watching, but couldn't see it on last mammogram. Whew. They looking at that area.

Cynthia, who was watching the spot, and why didn't they follow up with a deeper level sonogram, or a CT scan? Spots don't usually just disappear, however, mammogram's don't always pick up everything. Whoever is watching your spot, should insist on some follow up. Even if it's just a benign cyst, they need to track it's growth.

That's reassuring. Usually it means a benign cyst when they say that. Not real often, but sometimes cysts do disappear.

I went to the oncologist Friday morning. I'm getting mixed results from the Verzinio, and hormone blocking shots. The lung mets have shrunk, as have the mets in the lymph nodes. The bone mets, however, have not been affected by the treatment, and are both active, and slowly increasing in size.

Because of the mixed results, chemo has been put on the back shelf for a bit. We were able to stop the bone mets before with a drug called Zometa. I'm going to try it again, to see if it will again stop the bone mets. I HATE Zometa, and yes there are a couple other options, but they're even worse, so it's not really an option at this point.

Back
Top Bottom