My Lg Fowl breeding pens

What is the height of the front side and back side? Could you post close up pictures of a corner, an interior wall and the door from inside the pen? Thank you for the additional photos and information. Hope to build something like your pen this week.
The front wall of the pen is 5' tall and the back wall is 4' tall. Also, I have not put the doors on it yet, I just picked them up today from my parent's house. My father is retired and I get him to make all my doors for me. All the corners have 2 screws on an angle in them called pocket screws. He then cuts out some plywood, glues and nails them on all of the corners.This makes for some very solid doors. I did include pics of both sides of the doors.....

Front corner

Inside wall

Inside front corner

Outside view of door (front)

Inside view of door (back)

Back corner

I would have taken pics from the inside looking at the back of the door on one of the other pens but it's dark and wet outside and I didn't want to go back there right now. If you still want to see that I can take those pics maybe tomorrow when it's light outside.

Let me know if you want any other pics....

Chris

Thank you for the photos. I do have some more questions. What angle are you cutting the wood to get the 1 foot drop in the roof? Is there a reason you did not go 6 feet to 5 feet to give you more head space when you go in the pen? Are the doors made out of 1x4's? What are the dimensions of the door? How far is the roost from the back?

Thank you for the photos. I do have some more questions. What angle are you cutting the wood to get the 1 foot drop in the roof? Is there a reason you did not go 6 feet to 5 feet to give you more head space when you go in the pen? Are the doors made out of 1x4's? What are the dimensions of the door? How far is the roost from the back?

I think that the angle was around 5 or 7 degrees I'm not sure. I built the base then the front wall then the back wall. I connect the two with the one board that is 24" off the ground then cut the top board with the angles. I use two clamps to hold that board in place and mark the angle to cut. Once I set the saw up I cut all the wood that has an angel on it at the same time so every thing stays consistent.

I didn't want the pens to be higher than my fence so that I could see the horses behind the pens. My wife is a horse person so I have to keep her happy.

Yes the doors are made with treated 1 x 4's,

The doors are 48" tall by 34" wide.

The roost are right at 20" from the back of the pen.

Chris

Last edited:
Well guys, I spent the day yesterday finishing up the doors on the pens and got everything moved into place. I knew we were in for some wet weather and I figured that it was time to winterize the pens while I was at it. So I got that done yesterday as well. Basically all I did was rap three sides of the pens with plastic to keep the wind and rain off of the birds. In about 2 months I'll be taking the plastic down and they will stay open air coop until January next year.

So anyway, this is what the pens look like all together....

Thanks for looking....

Chris

I have been researching breeding pens and really enjoyed your ideas. Great looking pens!
Thank you.
I looked around here and on the internet at all kids of breeding pens and I saw some really nice pens. My ideas came from all the pics I looked at but I'm happy with what I finally have for myself. I just went through all my birds today and set up my pens with the breeding pairs that I'm going to use this year. I'm really excited to finally put them all to good use.

The only thing that I'm going to add now is lights on a timer to try and get some more eggs!!!!

Again thanks everyone for all the nice comments!

Chris

Thank you. 
I looked around here and on the internet at all kids of breeding pens and I saw some really nice pens. My ideas came from all the pics I looked at but I'm happy with what I finally have for myself. I just went through all my birds today and set up my pens with the breeding pairs that I'm going to use this year. I'm really excited to finally put them all to good use.

The only thing that I'm going to add now is lights on a timer to try and get some more eggs!!!!

Again thanks everyone for all the nice comments!

Chris
So what are breeds are you breeding? I am very jealous of your setup - great job! Maybe I will be there in a year or two.

So what are breeds are you breeding? I am very jealous of your setup - great job! Maybe I will be there in a year or two.
I have Barred Rocks. New Hampshires and Rhode Island Reds. I'm thinking about adding White Rocks to the mix but that may have to wait until next year, lol!

Chris

looks like you will have to build one more to make it even on both sides
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom