My Life As a...

MotherAmanda

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 3, 2013
South East Georgia
I am a mom. I am way more than that, but I think Mom is more than anything, the biggest part of me. Not just my life, but me, as a whole. I have 5 daughters. 22 years ago I would proudly say I wanted 5 boys...but God saw fit to compromise and give me 5 healthy girls instead. This has been a blessing and even a curse at times. I won't lie. Girls are hard. But I do not regret one moment of it. And, for a year now, I have been a grandMOM. To a baby boy this time. And guess what! He may be even harder than all 5 of my girls ha ha.
This leads me to my life as a...
Mom: right now only 3 are still at home so it is pretty easy. 2 teenagers and one pre teen so challenging at times, but not to bad. Mostly just referee and taxi driver.

Asher Tamer: that grand boy is now just over a year old and got a double dose of ADHD, literally. So, he has been running since he was 8 months old. But a little charmer he is. As long as there is food and outside he is good to go. Who would ever think you might actually love your grand kids more (because you send them home at the end of the day, after not making those life or death, conform to society decisions you had to with your own kids?)

Dog Whisperer: I have an old yellow lab. She is about 8 years old and the best behaved, sweetest dog ever...but has every medical problem and stink known to man despite my every effort to fix her. So we plug away balancing between her comfort and affording her comfort. We also just got a new Great Pyrenees puppy. I have been researching them for a while to keep guard over my chickens, but wasn't really sure I wanted to go that route or not...until I lost my 2 yard bunnies and a chicken to a fox. (I live in a neighborhood that one would think one wouldn't be tolerated. I'm not saying they should be shot, I'm just saying I can't believe it hasn't happened. I thought we were the only people in the state that don't own a gun.) Anyway, let me just say, Great Pyrs may be the breed for me! They are so sweet but also don't mind being outside doing their own thing. Unlike the Lab. She whines and cries if you are out of sight. And you just about have to beat her with a stick to get her to go outside. (JUST AN EXPRESSION!!)

Lion Tamer: Ok, not really lions, just 2 kitty boys that think they are lions. Other than the part where we actually fear them eating us in our sleep if the food bowl gets low enough to see the bottom, they are pretty good boys. One does whine if a door is closed. And by whine, I mean whine non stop until it is opened. Annoying, yet somehow charming at the same time.

Chicken Wrangler: At this time I only have 3 girls. I am looking for breeders, hopefully locally, because I would really like to one day have good stock to have a small hatchery. But that is probably a future dream more so than a now reality. But one can hope. I did have 2 bunny boys that were mentioned earlier, that fall under the chicken wrangler heading because they honestly did not know they weren't chickens. As soon as the pup is working I plan to definitely have more because there was nothing cuter to me than flop ears following chickens.

Bush Whacker: NOT!! As I am sitting here literally with one eye swollen shut (contact dermatitis) and hopped up on anti itch stuff from my Dr today, it was established I am to allergic to some mystery something that grows here that I will officially call myself allergic to yard work. And I'm totally good with that!

Jack of all Trades, MASTER OF NONE: But I sure do love trying. Basically ANYTHING. At least once.

Guess I forgot to mention...
Wife: I have been a wife to my husband for 22+ years. Some have been good years, some hard. Just like raising those kids, I wouldn't trade a second with him. He truly is my best friend (and a dang good daddy and Pop Pop too).

Daughter: I am an only child. So a lot of people call me spoiled, although I disagree. But there is a lot I don't understand about the dynamics of a multi child family that I guess makes me seem spoiled. Also, my mother was just diagnosed with dementia so learning to cope with that, without a sibling to understand is a lot lonely. It feels as if my childhood is quickly being erased. Yes, my dad is and was there but he was wrapped up in working so didn't pay much attention to a bunch of girls, lol, sorta.

So, as I age, sometimes a little ungracefully, I am learning to be more than a mom. Sometimes kicking and screaming. Sometimes more than a little eagerly. I am learning to embrace my life as a...

Last edited:
Wow. That is so awesome. Congratulations on being a mother and grandmother.
thumbsup.gif

I don't think so? Not looking for one anyway. Maybe to know either I am not alone, or to let someone else know they are not alone. That is all. Not looking for praise or drama or any kind of hoopla. It is just my life, it is just what it is.

I don't think so? Not looking for one anyway. Maybe to know either I am not alone, or to let someone else know they are not alone. That is all. Not looking for praise or drama or any kind of hoopla. It is just my life, it is just what it is.
I am just stating that it sounds like you have done a very good job! :)

Back
Top Bottom