My life just got 5 years shorter (sorta a rant)

ilovemychickies

Songster
12 Years
Oct 10, 2007
Just north of Dallas Tx.
Mom, Dad, Ryan, and I were just getting settled down for dinner. I suddenly heard my dog go beserk and run torward another house. I sigh and assume that another dog has come close to the house and that she was running it of. I open the door and call her name. She didn't come so I stepped out past the car. I don't see jordin(the dog) but I do see THE NEIGHBORS FRONT YARD ON FIRE!!! I can also see that the fire was spreading rapidly torward their neighbors yard. And to make matters worse, the house that the fire was going torwards was the house that I have been taking care of!
ep.gif
I grab Jordin who has now run back to me to alert me of the danger, and put her in the back yard. I then run into the house shouting "The neighbors front yard is on fire!". Mom and dad run outside and stare for a moment. Then we go over to make sure that everyone is ok and if they need us to call 911. We get over there and he says " It's ok, we are just burning stuff off." I was so mad. I nearly had a heart attack. Well, thanks for listening to my rant. I have to go change undies now.....
barnie.gif

Don't feel bad about your reaction -- your neighbor should have been outside watching the fire to make sure it stayed under control. I once lost a good neighbor and friend (no lives lost, they just had to move) because someone on the other side of them decided to burn off fallen leaves and dry brush....and then left while the fire was burning. While they were gone the wind kicked up and the fire moved onto my neighbors' property. It then jumped over my property and burned through a couple of pastures on the other side of me. You did the right thing, for sure.

That is so dangerous!! I was freakin out last night over the stupid fireworks everyone was shooting off worrying that one would land in my yard, on my house, or worse yet---on my chicken coop!!! Geez, what do people think sometimes?!!

You did the right thing. People are so stupid. This summer I was at the barn where we keep our horses, and I went outside to see why they were all making such a racket and running around. I notice this fire through the woods that crept up to at least 40 ft. high and about 10ft wide( no lie ). Mind you we are in a drought too. I call the owner who runs out of her house, the horses are going crazy, and the owner calls 911 and then runs to the home she believes it's coming from. The stupid people were "just burning some brush" and didn't know what the big deal was! Nothing there to conrtol the fire. I don't understand people. Something like that can get so out of control in a hurry. Thank God nothing burned down.

We aren't in a drought, but the National Weather Service said not to be burning any brush because there was a front coming in that would hit very fast with winds up to 30 mph, and the ground is quite dry. Luckily the front moved through after they were done. Phew! All the neighbors were outside watching the fire making sure that it didn't go far. Luckily we have a firefighter that lives directly in front of us that went over and told them to keep a close eye on it and to be ready to put it out fast in case the wind kicked up. This morning we drove by to see where the fire had been, and there was charred grass about 1 foot from the neighbors yard.
th.gif

I didn't want the neighbors to come home, me go over and have to say "Welcome home! By the way the neighbors burned down your house and charred your yard. Hope you don't mind." For a moment though I thought I was going to have to do that. I thank the good Lord above that it didn't reach anyone's house.

Back
Top Bottom