My Little Broody Duck!! (pics soon)

DuckFanatic

Songster
13 Years
Jun 15, 2009
AZ
I rescued a f/w indian runner drake and two buff girls recently
big_smile.png
. I learned that both of the buff girls had brooded on and hatched many ducklings in the past, one of the buffs very recently. I was hoping to hatch a few ducklings from one of them but my mom wasn't going along with my plan.
hmm.png

One morning, I went out the the "chucks" (chickens and ducks lol) to collect eggs. I went over to the duck coop and saw Wilma, one of the buffs, sitting on her egg she had just recently layed. I reached in to grab the egg and was startled when Wilma bit me over and over again, hissing. I quickly retreated from the coop, realizing that she must have gone broody
lol.png
!

I had to tell my mom and also pointed out that it was only ONE egg! It would be sad to take it away from her
wink.png
. I finally made a deal with my mom that i would somehow mark this egg with a sharpie of some sort, so if she laid more eggs, we would take all other besides this one. If that makes sense? I candled the egg on day 6 and say the dark shadow of the embryo and veins! How exciting!
ya.gif
So, in other words, we will soon have a little duckling!!
wee.gif

The little egg is on day 9 of incubation. I am hoping for a hen but would still be happy with a drake. He/she will be a buff/ runner mix
big_smile.png

I will try to post pics of little Wilma on her egg soon
yippiechickie.gif
And definetly post some pics of the little duckling when it hatches
smile.png
I am just hoping everything goes well and we are expecting the hatch date to be around July 4th or 5th
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom