My little brother needs to grow up (A little rant)...

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Well this morning started off well...
roll.png
My family was sitting downstairs having morning coffee and I decided to give my dad some of his father's day gifts so he could use them during the day. Shortly after my brother begins complaining about how terrible his summer has been since he's been home from college because he has no friends, blah blah blah. This is a complaint we hear almost every time he's with the family. Then he starts complaining about the WATER PRESSURE in our TOILET! He clogs it all the time and apparently he wishes it was the same as his toilets at school. I can see my dad is beginning to get a little mad and he starts looking like he wants to get up and leave the living room. Then my dad starts telling me about how the van almost caught on fire because of the air conditioner, and that its ok to drive but we can't use the air. My ungrateful, immature brother decides to grill into my dad about how he said he was going to fix his air conditioner but he hasn't done it yet, and that it is like my dad is going back on his word, yadda, yadda.

My brother is becoming the type of person who thinks the family money grows on trees. My dad is getting ready to retire and we have to watch every penny spent. My dad typically pays to fix things on our cars when they break because he knows we are in school and tight on money. Typically I will still offer to pay because I do have some money set aside. My brother just doesn't understand that even though my dad said he would fix the air, he can't unless he has the money to do so. This started a big fight. My dad walked away and my brother began telling my mom that he doesn't feel like he's a part of the family anymore. He knew this would upset her and it did. She started crying and he just went on and on. Finally I had enough and I told him he needed to grow up and to get upstairs because the argument was over. Of course he just kept going and going.

So now my mom is upset and I know my dad probably is too, even though he's acting like it didn't bother him. My dad gives us a lot and my brother just doesn't see it. He pays our bills (car insurance, cell phone, college) and on top of all that, he is always willing to give us extra when we need it. This the same dad who gave my brother a hundred dollars last weekend for a rodeo trip with his friends. My brother is just so immature and it puts a lot of strain on my parents. He needs to wake up and taste real life! In his mind he thinks he takes care of himself because he lived away at college for ONE year. College is far from real life!

I'm sorry this is so long, but I feel really bad for my parents. Not the best way to start off Father's Day that's for sure!

sounds like your dad should stop giving your brother money to pay for his little extras, and tell him to get a job. then he will learn to be grateful REAL fast. i would also buy him a book on manners and leave it on his bed for him to find. maybe if he had to pay his own way he would learn the value of money and what your father does for him.

I also have a little brother and I understand I had children before he did but he kept telling me I was raising my children wrong. What was the wrong way I didn't spank them enough I had found other punishments my kids hated worse then spankings. All my children grew up to be good adults so no harm there. I don't know if they ever grow up but someday he realize what he had when he really gets on his own and work and pay bills. just hang in there it does get better. Be there for your mom and dad and help them where you can. Maybe have a good sit down and tell your brother what you are seeing not sure it will help but at least you did try. Good luck. Hope things get better for your dad on his special day.

Sorry to hear that your brother's being a
duc.gif
. The summer after that first year at college always seems to be a tough one. Like you said, your brother feels like he's been "independent" (albeit on your parents' dime), and fails to understand that the rules of the house apply regardless of age. Sadly, it's up to your parents to change his attitude. They need to sit him down and remind him that he's still their child. Father's Day may not be the best time for that talk.

Hope things improve. They're lucky to have a mature daughter who appreciates them, and understands reality. On the upside, he'll presumably be heading back to college in a couple of months, and peace will reign, once again.

hugs.gif

Quote:
LOL, I like that suggestion!

I will probably just keep my distance from him for awhile. He really made me so angry today. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

He was just in the kitchen with my mom telling her that he feels like he isn't loved in the family and that no one cares about him. He says this, but barricades himself in his room all the time and makes no effort to do anything with the family. I've often asked him to go to the movies with me and when he said he didn't have money I offered to lend him some. He still didn't want to go. I know a lot has to do with him breaking up with his girlfriend a few months ago. He's lost because she's not here anymore.

He does have a job, which is the kicker. He just got paid $300 but he doesn't want to spend it on anything but himself. My parents DO need to stop giving him money, but they don't, even though I have suggested it to them.

Hopefully he will apologize to my dad and this whole mess doesn't happen again. Nothing has ever escalated in this house like it did this morning, so maybe that was enough to keep him from doing it again. Usually we are a very peaceful family! Ever since he went away to school, he's been doing a lot of drinking and partying and I really think that has changed him. When he's not complaining about having no friends to hang out with at home, he talks about alcohol. He's definitely in an awkward stage, but it definitely makes him tough to deal with!

If it really bothered your parents then i would hope that they would do the right thing and stop paying all his bills and ALLOWING him to speak to them that way...
They really are not helping him at all...not at all.

Hugs for your dad! Sounds like the son needs to be cut off financially. I don't know why we often feel like we just have to put up with this sort of behavior.I hope I will be strong if it comes up with my own kids.Hoping dad has a better day!Hope you all do...except for the son.

Back
Top Bottom