My Little Chick Survived A Hawk Attack

All4Eggz

Jesus Loves You🌵
Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
Detailed experience here.

A hawk swooped down and grabbed one of the little chicks. I began screaming.

The chick was screeching high in the air and the hawk ended up dropping the chick. Little Willow survived.

But she’s blind in one eye. Looks like the claws of the hawk grabbed her partially by the head.

Is there anything I can do to help the eye heal? Is it possible that the eye is going to open up and she won’t be blind?

D9E517DF-EF40-432C-8FA3-8B2939F55FE7.jpeg
38AB1CA4-4607-430A-B533-8C01BF9E9A6A.jpeg
11D3BDB5-A63E-4BE4-B2E5-67C224E0060F.jpeg

Willow has trouble keeping up with mama and the rest of the chicks. :(

Any advice is appreciated.

If she was dropped by the hawk in the air, I would be concerned that she suffered internal injuries as well. Is she able to stand and walk? Is she eating and drinking? Saline or eye wash can be used to gently clean the eye, and then you can put some plain antibiotic ointment in the eye twice a day. Terramycin is preferred, but plain Triple Antibiotic or Vetericyn eye gel works well.

She may be in shock. I would offer sugar water or electrolytes, and make some mushy chick feed and water mash. Separate her if she is being picked on or abandoned. I hope she makes it. Chickens can get along with only one eye, although it is a bit harder.

If she was dropped by the hawk in the air, I would be concerned that she suffered internal injuries as well. Is she able to stand and walk? Is she eating and drinking? Saline or eye wash can be used to gently clean the eye, and then you can put some plain antibiotic ointment in the eye twice a day. Terramycin is preferred, but plain Triple Antibiotic or Vetericyn eye gel works well.

She may be in shock. I would offer sugar water or electrolytes, and make some mushy chick feed and water mash. Separate her if she is being picked on or abandoned. I hope she makes it. Chickens can get along with only one eye, although it is a bit harder.
Eating, drinking, and active. No injuries other than the eye from what I can tell.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try to get my hands on some Saline and I’ll use some antibiotic ointment for the eye.

Thanks for the advice, @Eggcessive.

I have already noticed the eye is getting better. Yesterday during the day, the eye was open up half way. Last night it was open a little less but I think it’s because it was nighttime.

35A044BC-8768-44E0-9F56-66B3913C5858.jpeg

I’ll check in again later today :).

Back
Top Bottom