My little chicken is crippled, is there any way I can help

hicken Newbie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 10, 2011
I have a chicken who hops around on one leg because her other is extremely crooked. I feel so bad for her and I was wondering i fI can do anything to help?

I got Becky the chicken about a year ago and she is so sweet. I got her from my biology teacher who wasn't giving her the best life. She said that when they were hatching eggs in a lab, the students were too rough with her and her legs grew in crooked. Im not sure about the amount of truth in this, but thats what she told me. She kept it in a 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 foot cage with newspaper on the bottom. She had to find her a new home because of complaints about her smell. I loved the chicken unlike many other kids and to my surprise my mom let me take her home. So I reseached all about chickens and had my dad build a coop/run according to my blueprints
lol.png

Im pretty sure her injury is permanent because it grew in that way, but im not sure if there is anything I can do now. (she was this way when I got her, she was about 1 1/2 years old then) Does anyone have any handicapped bird experience? Would a sling or something be needed or a splint? Thanks for taking the time to read this, any opinions would be apreciated
smile.png

I put pictures on my BYC page if you want to see her

Last edited:
Glad you have her....
Your biology teacher probably doesn't have experience with chickens (guess that is obvious)... I am also a biology teacher, but take life and living things VERY seriously.
Glad you were able to rescue her and give her a chance at a happy fulfilled life.

Back
Top Bottom