My little deaf chicken - advice needed

nireklov

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Madison Township, Ohio
I had originally posted this under a deaf chicken thread, but it was rather old. I have a 16 week old deaf Ameraucana rooster. Long story short - when he was born he stayed on his back. If he was righted, he would stand for awhile - eat and drink and eventually fall back onto his back. One day he righted himself and he has been fine ever since. Fast forward a few months and I've been slowly introducing him to the established flock. One day an older girl came up behind him and got him good. Since then I have kept him away from the rest of the group since he can't hear them to run away.

I'm writing because I need your sage advice - the other girls (and 2 boys) free range all day, but I'm reluctant to let him out for fear of being pecked by the rest of the gang or being attacked/killed by a predator without realizing they are coming. Right now we have two combined coops that open up to a big run when we are away for the day and don't want the girls to free range. I'm currently using the run for him and keeping the girls out of it. He stays in a dog kennel in the garage at night. Should I build him his own coop and run? I'm pretty sure chickens get lonely which makes me feel awful, so I feel like I would need to add a friend for him. Can roosters have rooster friends? Should I just let him meet/deal with the flock, find his way and hope for the best?

On a side note - his problems standing when he hatched make me think he may have had an inner ear infection/problem or perhaps the deafness itself caused the problem.

Many thanks for any advice.

I'd give him more time with the flock and see how it goes. I've never had a deaf chicken, but I have a partially deaf dog. When she was younger, the older dog would bite her because she didn't react in the socially appropriate ways, because she couldn't hear him growl, etc. She got a couple really good bites, but she did learn to watch him better and respond in the correct manner. I think your rooster would do the same. Chickens are prey animals, so they're used to being watchful. He may have a learning curve, like my dog did, and may get a few harsh lessons from the rest of the flock, but he'll learn.

That's for being with the flock. As far as predators go, that's going to have to be a judgment call on your part. He'll be able to watch for himself, but not able to hear another bird give a warning call. He will be able to see their behavior.....this depends on your predator load.

If you give him a coop and run, he should have a companion. You can try another rooster, maybe a smaller breed (but not a game cock). I've had good luck housing young roosters together with no hens.

And it should go without saying, but he's not a candidate for the gene pool, so you'll need to pull him off your hens if you want to incubate eggs.

If I was in your situation, I would let him meet and deal with the flock. Being pecked on is a natural thing. As long as there is no open wounds, then it is OK. Some roosters do get along and some don't. Usually you keep extra roosters when you have a large flock. The less dominant ones know their place, and tend to stay clear of the master roo. If fighting occurs between the roosters, then you have to separate, or re home whichever you choose.
I have a similar situation to your handicapped roo. I have a hen that is blind. It happened as a result of a dog attack. ( neighbors dog got loose ) She is not being picked on. Just stays to herself. I will take care of her till the end. Not sure she feels lonely or not. My chickens are pets only.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

Thank you! Your insight was very helpful. I think I'll try and integrate him and see how it goes. If it doesn't, I'll just get him a little rooster friend and a nice coop and run.

Not related to chickens, but to your fight with leukemia - good, healing vibes to you. I'm a registered donor with Be the Match. They are a great organization. I hope they helped you find your match.

Thank you!! I really appreciate it. I'm close with all my chickens, but he is my buddy. I know you can't control anything, but I just hope to not put him in a bad situation, so that has been my hesitation to incorporate with the flock. That said, I know my chickens are a lot happier free ranging than being in a pen, so sometimes taking a chance makes it better for the animal even it might not be the safest route.

Thank you! Your insight was very helpful. I think I'll try and integrate him and see how it goes. If it doesn't, I'll just get him a little rooster friend and a nice coop and run.

Not related to chickens, but to your fight with leukemia - good, healing vibes to you. I'm a registered donor with Be the Match. They are a great organization. I hope they helped you find your match.
Thank you!

They got me a great match, and they've offered great support during the transplant and the recovery period. Wonderful organization.

Back
Top Bottom