My little hen was injured

Nik1

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2019
My hen was injured with a dog she did loose one eye. But the other eye is swollen shut. I did take her to the vet they put her on a antibiotic and a antibiotic eye cream it’s been swollen shut for two weeks she barely eats but drinks a lot .. does any one have any ideas ?

D86DCFBA-D5A3-4DB4-A8E4-A80938815A03.jpeg
4EC73DCA-9211-4ACB-9C59-7E8DD4EB280F.jpeg

If she is not eating much try mixing her feed with water,a mush might be easier for her to get hold of. I have a roo that lost an eye in a fight,once he adjusted to it he was fine. Still doing rooster stuff at around 13 or 14 years old(just slower). Main thing is to get her to eat,she needs the energy.

My hen was injured with a dog she did loose one eye. But the other eye is swollen shut. I did take her to the vet they put her on a antibiotic and a antibiotic eye cream it’s been swollen shut for two weeks she barely eats but drinks a lot .. does any one have any ideas ?
That’s too bad! It is a good thing that she is still drinking water, but she may have other injuries that you have not discovered. She may be just keeping her eyes closed because she does not feel well and is in pain.

Thank you guys I went and got pedialyte And did oak meal and with eggs and she ate pretty well tonight.. I put a warm rag over her eye and she seemed to like it.. I think she could of been a little cold the last two night. But I have her inside tonight .. she one of my tuffest hens so if any one can make it. It would be her. It dropped down to 65 the last two nights. How warm should I keep her.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen. Good suggestions from everyone!
Hopefully with warm compresses you can begin to work the eye open. It almost looks a bit stuck together. Can also flush it with Vetericyn or saline to see if that helps.

Keeping her warm is a good idea, it sounds like you are doing what you can for her - keep us posted on how she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom