my little rooster came home yesterday! But not his hen. :(

chickiebird

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 16, 2007
Annapolis Valley
I don't know if anyone will remember, but a while ago I posted questions about a little crippled bantam hen and her roo that I wanted to adopt from the local feed store. (They have a childrens park with animals and a play area). Anyway, I went in yesterday with sister to show her the little hen and roo and to ask about when they would be adopted out. Well, as we were standing by the pen talking about how pretty they were, a mink just waltzes into the pen, grabs the crippled hen, kills her and takes off with her! We shouted and pounded on the pen wire, but nothing fazed him. He disappeared with his dinner. Brazen little thing, in broad daylight, and not two feet away from screaming people!

So I marched into the store, told them about what happened, and offered to take the roo right then and there so he wouldn't be next. They came out to inspect, found the hole, then got me a box to take the roo home in. Poor little guy, he was shell shocked!

So I put him in a dog kennel in my coop, and let him out this morning, and he is getting along wonderfully with my Silkie girls! He won't go more than a foot away from them! He crowed once or twice, but he looks a little confused.

I know, you're all about to get after me for not quarantining him - but I've been watching this guy for three months, and he's been perfectly healthy and has been in a pen alone with his hen, so I figured he was likely safe.

:aww Wow were's a gun when you need one
roll.png
. Poor little hen.

Well that just SUCKS!! Poor thing. I'm glad you brought the little guy home and he's smitten with your silkie girls. He'll forget about the trauma very soon and live happily ever after (I predict).
smile.png

Ellen

Good for you. Glad to see I'm not the only one that brings home all the downtrodden, hopeless and homeless. I'm happy he's doing so well with your chickens. Pat yourself on the back for this well done deed.

Back
Top Bottom