My loud, messy babes

LizGled628

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Rhode Island
My 2.5 week old babies are loud and messy! They are so cute, the way they pipe up when I come into the room or our dog or cat passes by. They also make a MESS whenever I change their bedding...they love to take dust baths in fresh shavings!! It's so cute! They are also doing this weird legs-to-the-side laying down thing...they almost look like toy chickens!

We are in the process of building a coop right now, and when its finished, would it be okay to put them outside? It's been in the 90's here during the day and 70's at night. I already let them scratch around outside when I'm in the garden and they LOVE IT. I would, of course, keep them in an enclosed run (with netting on top) and the coop will be wired for electricity, in case it gets chilly and they might need a little heat.

Thanks for the advice! I love this place :)

Well, if it takes two weeks or more to complete the coop, sure! Otherwise, make sure you have a place to securely hang the heat lamp to give them supplemental heat at night until they're about 5 weeks old and their constant temp needs to be around 70 - 75 at night.

Week 1 - 90 - 95 degrees
Week 2 - 85 - 90 degrees
Week 3 - 80 - 85 degrees
Week 4 - 75 - 80 degrees
Week 5 - 70 - 75 degrees

Thanks! It will most defiantely take 2 weeks (even if my husband thinks it will take less....you know how that goes!).

I haven't even been turning the heat lamp on at night. Their brooder is in my living room and the sun beats in all day....the thermometer I have in there never reads under 80! They are spoiled little babies :)

I'll bet they'll be fine at those temps. once the coop is finished. My two and a half week old chicks are tolerating those temps. - 90s daytime, 70s at night - without a heat lamp and they live outside.

Back
Top Bottom