Mama with 3 week chicks laying eggs.

blondie55555

Chirping
Feb 14, 2023
First time hatching brooder hen’s chicks. Chicks were 3 weeks old on June 29. They are in a separate run with mama hen and enclosed in their brooder crate with mama hen at night. Mama hen started laying eggs yesterday, but she still put chicks to bed under her last night. Laid another egg today, spent some time in coop with babies confused and searching for her. I did hear her screeching when one came in coop, however later found it in her wing in the nesting box. She hasn’t put them to bed in coop yet. Nighttime temperature is mostly 80’s with upper 70’s for a few hours early morning-mid to upper 90’s daytime. Is it time to move her back to integrate with flock? Or should I leave her with them awhile longer?

My bantam hatched a cochin chick three weeks ago. Now hen flying up to rafters and chick cant get that high up. Chick gets to top roost bar and peeps for hen. When my flock comes in to roost the chick gets scared so I have been putting her back into her pen. Once in the pen the momma will fly down from rafters and go back into her pen with the chick.Should I just leave them alone to figure it all out?

Attachments

• 20230712_142741.jpg
    20230712_142741.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 7
I’m sorry, you probably should have posted this on a new thread for all to see and respond. I am a new chicken owner from Feb 2023. I can only tell you my experience with my babies. I did take mama away to a different run and the baby chicks were fine by themselves, though they did look and call out for mama for the first day/night or so.

Mama is probably trying to teach baby, but baby may be too small to be that high up and fall and get hurt. I would love to see what others say if you repost.

I’m sorry, you probably should have posted this on a new thread for all to see and respond. I am a new chicken owner from Feb 2023. I can only tell you my experience with my babies. I did take mama away to a different run and the baby chicks were fine by themselves, though they did look and call out for mama for the first day/night or so.

Mama is probably trying to teach baby, but baby may be too small to be that high up and fall and get hurt. I would love to see what others say if you repost.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom