My male pigeons are paring and mating!!!!!!

Majd

Songster
9 Years
Jun 22, 2012
Hiii.... i have had a pair of pigeons before and we thought they were male and female, but after a while, they both started cooing so hard and dancing and doing the half moon with their tails and cuddeling and mating each one a turn, one of them jumped on the other's back and mated with it... and so on... then they started building a big nest TOGETHER a thing that females don't usually do, and they build several ones but never laid eggs.. I think that each one thought that the other was a female.... so we put them a chicken egg and immediately they started incubating it and protecting it fiercely... the it hatched and we raised the chick........ but these tow were sold.... now 3 weeks ago i got another pair that were supposed to be male a female one of them is maybe 3 months old ....after a week of having them, I noticed that the young one started cooing like the big male.. they were so lovely and liked each other and cared for each other, the big one cuddeled the younger and cooed at it and fed it by the mouth like males do to females and lately i noticed that the male was mating with the young one...... so i bought a new pigeon that was supposed to be a female.. and i think it was..... i put it in a cage with the big male for 3 days then i released them... and the male started cooing and cuddeling the new female and he finally mated with her she likes him a lot and want to stay in the nest with him but the other male is staying close from the big male and he mated with him even when coupeled with the new female.... I'm so confused and i can't know for sure if males can mate together if there is no female around???? and can females jump over the male's back and mate with him??? because I saw it on youtube several times..... oufffffff please help me and answer all my questions....!!!!!!!!!!!! and add new information that could be helpfull!!!!

thank you... Majd

Welcome to the club!
Sometimes pigeons are just that confusing.
I am having the same issues with a lesbian pair of white homers. Sometimes hens do tread on the cock pigeon that is a natural pheromone.
Just be patient these things have away of working themselves out.

thanks hocum coco... I think things are turning better after i isolated the annoying male in a seperated cage..... now the tow others are mating and preparing the nest... I hope we'll receive a couple eggs soon ;) :)

Yes.. put the male / female pair in their own pen.

Get another mate for the lonely male.

In the absence of the opposite sex, 2 males, or 2 females will pair up. Later, even if you add a hen, the 2 males will still stay as a pair... as they have bonded. The only way to split them up is to keep them apart and give each one a new bird to pair to.

Pigeons are so interesting to keep. In my loft I have too many males and too few females. But 2 of my females paired up and, even when I keep them apart, they won't accept another mate. In the end I had to give up.. but they are very useful foster mums!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom