My male pilgrim sitting in nest?

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
Ok, we got our first geese, four pilgrims...two males and two females when they were two days old last April. This morning only three came outside to free range...fearing something got my fav one...I call him Goober and he will let us pet/hold him when he is in the mood...I went looking for him. I found him inside the huge nesting box. There was a large nest built around him and he was sitting in the middle. I checked when he got off the nest and there were no eggs in there. I was told to expect eggs by next Valentine's Day so all you Pilgrim owners...can you tell me what is going on?? They only eat from the yard as I was instructed until two weeks prior to V. D. and then told to put them on layer feed with milo in it. They sometimes do get into the chicken coop and help themselves but mostly show no interest in anything they can't find in the yard or field. They are full grown and gorgeous now.

Again, my question is:
Since there will be no eggs till about next Feb. why are they building a nest and why was my male sitting on it with nothing in it?? Is this normal so many months before the breeding/hatching season? He did it for a few hours and then free ranged with the rest of geese. Thanks for your input.

I'm no goose expert but I'd guess he's just getting in some early practice. I wouldn't worry too much about him.

Quote:
Some will actually lay a few eggs in the Fall.

A big thank you to you! LOL I went and checked today and although no one was sitting on the nest there was one egg..a first one for my "goobers".
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Some will actually lay a few eggs in the Fall.

A big thank you to you! LOL I went and checked today and although no one was sitting on the nest there was one egg..a first one for my "goobers".
celebrate.gif

If you dont want those eggs id be more then glad to buy them off of you! Ive been looking for pilgrim eggs for months now!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Well, he found a chicken egg this morning and made a nest around it. He is getting anxious to get this show on the road. He is so funny. He is my fav.
love.gif
I can't wait for spring and babies!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom