My Math is Fine. Plus Age Mixing Update.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reyvaughn, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I posted yesterday about my picking up 8 day old EEs from TSC. I was asking about the day olds getting picked on by the oldest, and one Amberlink in particular that I call Blue Legs. Wouldn't you know, karma had it in for her. We took care of the chores - chickens being my responsibility because I don't trust anyone else. Everyone was fine and the picking pretty much stopped. Our weekends are hectic and we are always on the road for some reason. Well, after going to the auto parts stores and to TSC to see about getting new feeders and another heat lamp in case I had to separate chicks. I opted to leave them be since things calmed down and walked out without any Light Brahmas or chicken goodies. We had to go to my mothers to drop off her parts and do an oil change. Around chore time, we come home and I see Blue Legs' butt is all scabby and lacking down around her tail feathers. Great - but then, I had to chuckle because someone decided to get even with her. Before I left for TSC again, we did manage to level the coop we were given. I ended up putting Heal Cut on her and I have her in the living room, separated.

Now... My math. We have 22 chicks right now, ranging from 2 days and about 4 weeks. I still am not done. I explained my plan to my husband. I am hovering over 4 TSC stores, watching their Breed Of The Week bins. I am after BAs, SSs, Delawares, SLWs, BRs or BJGs. Once they come in, they are straight run and I want 12-15 chicks. Of course, more than likely with my luck, 10 will be roos and they will attend FBC when old enough. Except one, who will stay. I already have at least 2 Brown Leghorn roos, and a 3rd I am not sure of - based off of their sizes and development. So, my BH tells me 22 is enough. I am saying it's not. He's saying 6+6=12, while I am saying 6+6=35-ish. I think I'm right and he needs to go back to school. I will admit I am obsessed. All I talk about is my chickens and what my plans are.

I had to add a pic of my new EEs. They had some de-pasting and treat time with me tonight. Although, the de-pasting didn't go well. The poo just wouldn't come off, so I trimmed what I could with scissors. Anyways, I have a favorite EE already. She's the brown striped at the top of the picture. She's just so poofy! My husband picked out the solid yellow one. I was wondering... The yellow with grey, will they be lavenders?

[​IMG]

2. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Aw, poor Ms. Blue Legs is lonely and is chirping for her brooder mates. She has also discovered that her personal brooder is short enough that she can jump from the feeders to the edge of the brooder to perch. I put that corrugated 'fence' I got with my starter kit to keep her in the box. I do feel bad for her, but I can't put her back in with the others - obviously. I do think I kind of like her, though. She isn't a freak and running away now that she is alone (the Brown Leghorns cause all of the running and freaking). She seems to appreciate my company even though she is a little unsure.

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Can you try putting one or two other chicks in with her? You could watch and see what happens. [​IMG] She sounds lonely, so maybe she learned her lesson!

4. DukesAngel

DukesAngel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    The yellow with grey EE's I got last year turned out to be a pretty tan and white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by