My meat chicks arrived Jan 6, 2011

Quote:
Hi. It took about 3 hours to do 12, but we had to work up some nerve! Sealing and cleaning up took a little longer too.

The fish cleaning station does fold up and you can remove the drain pieces so that you can clean them in the sink or dishwasher. I have it hanging in the garage now for the next time. I like that it is taller than a regular fold up table. I am tall, so it helped with back pain. Although, my back was still hurting from bending over the trash can to use the plucker. Eventually I sat down for that part too.

I bought my food saver at Sams. I was able to use the gallon size roll for making bags to fit each bird. I think they have sealers at Academy if you are gonna get the fish cleaning table there too.

We used a cone (heavy bleach bottle). I tried to use a box cutter for the actual bleeding, but it didn't work fast enough, so we just resorted to poultry shears & removed the head. It caused convulsions, since the nerve was cut, but the box cutter way was taking too long and I felt bad. We used the big pampered chef knife for the back end work; making the cut to remove insides & tail.

I wish the wet feathers didn't smell
smile.png
That's the only thing that has really stuck with me...but, my husband is having trouble eating our homegrown birds. Regular old store bought chicken is OK for him. It is being involved in the whole process that has him freaked out.

Quote:
We did the same thing last year (our first year). My stump is about 3 feet high. I just washed it off after we were done.

Those meaties are so gross and stinky
sickbyc.gif
But boy do they taste good.
droolin.gif

Last edited:
thanks for your posting, Im trying to determine what one "extra " chick is that the hatchery tossed in, according to what you've shown I think she's a Cornish, she way bigger now at 2 weeks than the Dominiques I ordered.

Week 2 photos. I bought a small kitchen scale to weigh them so that the growth is easier to keep track of. I only took a few out to weigh them, but I tried to pick different sized cornish for variety.

This is my week old bantam for scale

bantam1weekold.jpg

Also a week old EE for scale

EE1weekold.jpg

Cornish 1

cornish12weeksold.jpg

Cornish 2

cornish22weeksold.jpg

Cornish 3

cornish32weeksold.jpg

Red Broiler 1

RedBroiler2weeksold.jpg

Red Broiler 2

redbroiler22weeksold.jpg

Black Mystery Roo 1

blackmysteryroo2weeksold.jpg

Black Mystery Roo 2

blackmysteryroo22weeksold.jpg

As you can see, the cornish are a lot heavier than the Red Broilers & black mystery roosters.

Back
Top Bottom