My mini-tractor

Quote:
OK. I have put in bold and answered twice now that this is not meant to give predator protection. I am removing the original post. What started as honest concern (I assume) is now beginning to fell like being rude. I am sorry that I ever posted our fun little project that has caused such deep concern and dismay.
rant.gif

I hope you don't mind but I would like to do something similar to your project when I get my new chicks next spring. It was a really good idea. You guys should be VERY proud of the work you put into it. It was a very original and very functional design for its purpose. Two big thumbs up!!!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

I put mine out in a fenced garden, but it's a pretty short fence. It still has tomato cages and dead and dying vines. I also put sawhorses out with some wood on top to make them feel secure. I only put them out when I'm home but they are so used to it I'm going to leave them in it all day today. The only daytime predators here would be hawks and cats. My doggies have expressed no interest in my chickens, but they will keep cats out of the yard.

I was thinking about making a fenced run that fits my raised beds so I could put them in that and let them prepare my beds.

I'm very sorry to have offended you. I just wanted to make sure that you understood the difference between plastic "hardware cloth" and real, metal hardware cloth. In my opinion, the plastic stuff is deceptively named.

So many people start out keeping chickens and lose them to predators simply because they make innocent, understandable mistakes. Why would anyone think a product named "chicken wire" isn't safe for keeping your chickens? There's a picture of a chicken right on the package! Yet it isn't safe for chickens, and chickens die every day as a result of this very understable mistake.

Speaking for myself and the other posters, we honestly were not trying to insult you. We were just trying to make sure that you didn't make an innocent, perfectly understandable newbie mistake and end up with dead chickens.

Again, I apologize.

I wouldn't worry about trying to make everyone happy on here. Some swear by hardware cloth, but most of my pens are chicken wire and have had no problems. Chickens are cheap to replace.

Last edited:
he.gif
Stop beating your head against the wall! I saw your cute little mini tractor yesterday and thought it was a great project for you, your kids and your chickies. I got so beat up on here on my first two posts that I almost stopped posting. I'm glad there were some good soles on here that helped change my mind. It's lots of fun here on BYC. One of the first things I learned on here was that everyone has opinions and don't mind sharing them. I smile at the ones that I like
wee.gif
....frown and grumble at the ones I don't
rant.gif
and just keep on keeping on!
caf.gif
So that being said.....keep us posted on how you are liking your mini daytime tractor. I might want to build one with my grandsons.
thumbsup.gif

I wish you would repost it, who cares if it's not fort knox, we can't all afford it. I use plastic chicken wire and the only predator attack got through the door, not the wire.

Quote:
It's not meant to be predator proof. It's for little chicks who spend their day right on my porch and come in at night. It's just a nice break from the brooder for them.
It will keep cats and dogs and hawks from them. The entire thing is wrapped in hardware cloth.

I am not trolling. It is an honest concern for your chicks and for the kids -- meaning that if anything happened to the chicks, how would they feel? If you said that the chicks would be under constant supervision while they were in there I would have not been concerned at all...

You stated it was hardware cloth (which I assumed you meant metal), so when someone else said that he saw plastic mesh, I jumped back in...

I did not mean to offend you. It really was an honest concern.
I am sorry,
Dale-Ann

PS I type slowly. I saw Elmo's post about the plastic mesh and replied to that. I did not see your post between us until this evening. So, I now understand why you are so upset. And again, I am sorry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom