My miss understood Chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by KC101, Oct 13, 2013.

1. KC101

KC101 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    MY MISS UNDERSTOOD
    CHICKEN

This is my story of what I believe to be a lonely and a miss understood Chicken.

I am in the Air National Guard, our unit got activated to leave for Afghanistan. Between all the training we had to do before going over there. I was gone for most of 2012.

This was my second time to deploy to the middle east.
    This time was one of the hardest deployments I have ever been on. This time the war got up front and personal.

I was part of a 7 man team. We wear the Air Force uniform and was assigned to the Army’s 1st infantry 335th signal command. I don’t think the army command really understood what we could do for them.

Once we proved ourselves and what our job was, They began using us everywhere. We convoyed, flew, and helicopter. all over Afghanistan. We were IED, shot at , rocket attacks, helping the wounded, didn’t sleep for days ( only cat naps). The Army would sometimes wake us up in the middle of the night to leave on missions. When we would get to these outposts we had to prove ourselves again and again. It never got easier.

After being back from Afghanistan and trying to readjust to civilian life. We were sent to New Mexico. I called my wife to see how things are going at home. She told me about this big old hen that found it’s way to our house and is living in our backyard. I finely got home went out to my backyard and there she was. She was very caution, stayed away from us for about 2 weeks. I would put food and water out for her and at night she would roost in our tree.

Finely she came close enough for me to touch her and after a little time pet her and finely hold her and now she will come and sit on my lap. I don’t see her leaving anytime soon so I built her a coop. She is not fenced in and could leave at anytime.

I began to think why she wanted to be alone. Maybe she got tried of having to prove herself around other chickens day after day. Somehow her and I were a like. Since I have been back my wife has noticed changes in me. I feel miss understood, I don’t want to socialize and thinking I have to prove myself.

I know this sounds a little crazy, but it feels as if myself and this hen have connected somehow, I feel more at peace and her too. I don’t know why she came to my yard, but I do know this she makes me feel a little less miss understood.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Thanks for your service and for sharing this. I have found that on many levels I relate far better to animals than to humans. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  3. KC101

KC101 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Thank you for taking the time to read my story and your comments...

4. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    I am in total agreement with sourland. Thank you so much and I m glad this hen has chosen you as its roo. Hopefully,with her help, you will heal.

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Greetings, KC, welcome to the forum![​IMG]

I'm glad this hen has found you, and I hope your little feathered angel lives a long and happy life. Sometimes, only those who have experienced a traumatic event really understand what it does to you, and it's true, we civilians often fail to appreciate what war is like. Thank you for serving; if this little bird can help you feel more connected to the world you have returned to, God bless you both!

6. KC101

KC101 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Thank you.

7. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hello and welcome to BYC!
    Thank you for your service! Much appreciated. [​IMG]
    Hope that little hen can help you recover. She's an angel.

8. pdx2phx

pdx2phx Chased by Chickens

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    I want to chime in too and thank you for your service!

I never knew how wonderful chickens could be until I came home from a work trip one week and heard peeping in the garage - hubby had gotten suckered by cute fuzzy butts at the feed store. I thought he was nuts. 5 years later and I can't imagine not having them in our lives. We moved them all cross country with us even - no way was I leaving any of ours behind! They are so funny, sweet, entertaining and just happy about everything. I'm glad that you and your little hen have found each other, and hope that she's with you for a long time. [​IMG] They know a lot more than they let on.

9. kuulgrl

kuulgrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Thank you for serving! I never thought that chickens could be a vets "relax" animal. I've heard dogs helping and know that the cats work for us, but chickens. LOL I'm glad you found something to help.

My husband is an army vet. Building the coop together has been an awesome experience and he's been out there picking the girls up trying to get them used to him so they aren't so skittish. We just got the ladies on Saturday and he's smitten. [​IMG] I was kinda worried my chicken idea would be for just me. LOL

Thank you for sharing! I hope you have many happy days with your hen.

10. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I loved this story, thanks so much for sharing. I know it will stay with me for a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by