My Momma said Im crazy.

shadraq73

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
Rock Hill
I am a new member and came up with the idea to raise some chickens. Can you guess my momma's response. So I have been doing my research and working on clearing some land for the coop. Here are some questions that I have yet to find a specific answer to. If I am going to let my girls ( no rooster for neighbors sanity) run the yard, Should I also build a run? What should I be most careful of? I have about a 1/2 acre for their roaming. Second, best breed for upstate SC, hardy zone 7 is best way to decribe my tempature range. Third I cant wait to show pictures of my coop and girls but I got a long way to go................

Thanks for your help in advance,

Shadraq
tongue.png

Build a run and let them range only when you're home. They'll be safer that way. Hawks, dogs, cats... there are a lot of predators and pests out there.

If you're crazy, then joinging BYC is the best place for you. You'll fit right in.

Decide if you want to show birds or just have eggs. Do you want pretty birds or functional? Bantams take less space but lay smaller eggs. They might be a good starting point as you get your family used to the ides.

BTW,
welcome-byc.gif
from East Tennessee!!!

PS: Are you close to this lady? https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=373885

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
...I let my chickens Free Range all day. At night they go into the coop by themselves, just make sure you close the coops up. If your neighbor has a dog or something that can harm your chickens, I would keep them in a Run.

My Mom also said that I am crazy
lol.png
I am new to this game as well but I would build a run. For myself I would love to have my chickens free range we have 13 acres for them to do so but... We have 2 dogs, 2 outside cats that we claim and several that seem to move about. We have LOTS of predators to try and harm the chickens as such they are under lock and key right now and hopefully I will be brave and let them out.

How many are you getting? I know I went over board but we have buildings that were empty to use :>P So we bought 12 misfits from a friend of a friend who gave us what I think were 10 week old chickens- now about 15 week old. 2 of those were chased by our rotten dog and died. And since they weren't the chicks I wanted or could really hold I went out to hatchery sites and found the ones I wanted- Wyandottes, 36 that are Silver laced and 30 that will be the blue laced red. The crazy part for my mother is that any Roosters we don't want to feed over the winter will go to freezer camp (course I don't think I can have any part in getting them too the freezer). I guess we will see.

Good luck!

Thank you for your comments. After reading your post and reviewing this site....I will be adding a nice sized covered run for the girls to have when I am not around. The question I still have to research and would like some assistance with is:

At this time, I am looking for a breed that will survive upstate South Carolina. Mostly looking for egg layers at this time but might expand flock with my growing experience. Hope to load some pictures of my growing progress. A true start to finish product.

Shadraq

Back
Top Bottom