My Morality vs Culling, Again

DellaMyDarling

Songster
Dec 13, 2017
Mass Hilltowns
A while back I acquired a new group of 4 hens.
All 4 get along with the flock, but 2 stay very reserved.
Of these 2 more reserved hens, they prefer to stay in the coop together no matter what. The sunshine in the run, treats, nothing really draws them outside. If you put them out, they cluck around for a bit, then go back in.
One of these hens had clearly taken on flock rooster for her group before they came here. She's got spurs and a bit of a tude. She sees me coming, clucks loudly, and runs about panicking.
The other gal, she's had something going on respiratory wise. It's not getting better or worse. It's not severe, but it makes her a bit of a sad sack.
Neither bird lays, which is my major problem with them. The fact that neither want to be involved with the flock is a minor second. They're food pit holes. Something needs to change.

I do not believe in spending significant time or money on a chicken. They all got names, some are more pets than others, but reality is that they're here to produce for us. However, I do have empathy for them and we try to serve their needs compassionately.

Birds that cause major problems get eaten here.
Birds that are just...weird? Idk.
Birds that are respiratory sick? Idk.
It doesn't look like these gals should be passed along to someone else, you agree?

We cull here. Sick birds, or any with behavioral problems. I think of my flock as a whole first, and individuals second. I gotta do what's best for the flock. Keeping sick birds around ups the chances of more getting sick. I give mine a week or two before I make the decision, unless it looks bad enough to not wait.

It's all about how you think of your birds. Livestock or pets. I'm keeping a flock of chickens, not individuals with names. I like most of my birds and I have favorites, but if necessary they get culled too. I consider my birds livestock and manage them as such.

Do you think this "rooster hen" will readjust and integrate with the flock if her buddy is culled?
I'd hate to cull her too, seems a waste. And she's lean, doesn't look like good eating ;)
Yet, I'm fairly certain she does not lay.

You would generally say that ill hen is not for the dinner table, right?

In this instance, I'm using cull defined as ending life. I don't think it's a good idea to rehome singular rooster hen, or the pair of them since one is clearly ill.

Definitely cull/kill sick birds. We don't eat them here, although I have read of others doing so. Maybe in another time or place we wouldn't waste the meat, but for us it's not worth the risks that could come with a sick bird.

As far as the other bird, things may change when her friend is gone. I have some birds that stick to the shed. They do fine.

A while back I acquired a new group of 4 hens....Neither bird lays, which is my major problem with them
How long ago did you get them?
How old are they?
Are the other 2(same age?) laying?

You'll always have birds that aren't laying this time of year.
It can be tricky to manage for that.
I hatch replacement layers every year, and slaughter older hens to make room for the new layers.

Don't let the petpeople make you question your morality because you want to cull any of your birds. SMH.

Don't let the petpeople make you question your morality because you want to cull any of your birds. SMH.

Define Morals.

Cuz your morals are twisted if you let the whole flock get the sickness, right?

Triage is real.

Sorce

Or is it just nature...
And morals are wrong?

It's selfish to keep another bird alive that will further harm the flock.

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom