My morning with the hens (I guess this goes under behaviors)

ScrambledChick

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Pepperell, MA
I've had my girls for 2 weeks now. They are about 10 weeks old. I've been sitting in the run with them for 10-15 mins per day. I just sit and talk to them and let them do their thing. Today was the first time they did not run away. Usually they go under the coop and hide since the coop is off the ground and the run goes under. I sat down and they were eating, drinking, pecking, scratching a few feet from me. Then they would approach and check out my shoe or walk close to me. There is a wood bar that goes across the run and the most skittish of the bunch (Shirlena, a Black Star) was the first one to fly up and sit on the bar next to me. Then Henrietta (Delaware) got up too. The only one that did not was Louise (Buff Orp) but Louise did come over and peck my shoe. My husband came by and they got nervous when they saw him, instead of running away they stayed with me. The thing that was really interesting was that when I got out of the run and was working in the yard, they all went in the coop.

That's great! It's so exciting when the chickens start trusting you.

My chickens are really skittish, too, being white leghorns, but they're warming up to me. If I go outside barefoot in the morning they'll all come over and peck my toes and stay close to me while they're eating. I don't think they'll ever be lap chickens, but I can tell they like me, and that makes me happy.

haha, thats so nice! I just love it when my chickens follow me around sometimes! The thing is, they only do it once a while!
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom