My Muscovy Ducks are losing feathers

cynthiaelia

Hatching
Jul 9, 2021
I have 3 muscovy ducks and I noticed a week ago that 2 of them were starting to lose feathers. I caught one of them pecking on the 2 and I asked around and everyone was telling me it's normal and that they're just fighting to take charge of the group. Today I noticed the 2 ducks had lost feathers to the point where I can see the tail feathers and one of them even began to start bleeding. I immediately separated but I don't know what to do at all someone please help me.

So two have missing feathers, and one is perfectly ok?

If I'm understanding correctly, its a bullying/dominance issue, right?

How old are they?
Yes, two of them are missing many feathers and one is perfectly ok like it’s never been touched. I’m assuming it’s from a bullying issue and they are turning 2 months soon.

Yes, two of them are missing many feathers and one is perfectly ok like it’s never been touched. I’m assuming it’s from a bullying issue and they are turning 2 months soon.
2 months? So this does seem pretty normal. Around that age they are establishing flock dominance. Fighting is normal, blood isn't great. I'd cover up the blood with some rooster booster anti peck , and put the two back out there. Seperating for long amounts of time will just make the bullying worse.

2 months? So this does seem pretty normal. Around that age they are establishing flock dominance. Fighting is normal, blood isn't great. I'd cover up the blood with some rooster booster anti peck , and put the two back out there. Seperating for long amounts of time will just make the bullying worse.
I will try buying some of the anti peck, but I don't have some at the moment. Do you have any other suggestions for what else I could do?

Do you have drakes? Muscovy drakes spar quite a bit if not separated. I have 2 juveniles that are always wrestling and going round and round with each other. Their feathers are a disaster. They have proper nutrition and have no parasites - their only issue is that I have kept them (though I have tried to rehome - no one seems to want a drake). They have over an acre to roam, but choose to stick by one another.
Post some pics and I can help if you don't know if they are drakes or hens.
It is also possible that they are molting as mine will start at the end if summer, but younger ones tend to molt earlier the 1st yr.

Back
Top Bottom