My mystery chickens

joneus

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Ballston Spa
I'm fairly certain this one ("Sunny") is a boy (8 wks old tomorrow!), but I'm sort of hoping I'm wrong- what do you think? (Also- he's an Arauacana, right?)

IMGP2665.jpg

Also- I *think* this one, Admiral, is an EE, and for the longest time I was thinking it was a boy as well, but he/she doesnt have the coloring or tail feathers that my other EE roo's had at this age, so now I'm not so sure...

IMGP2671.jpg

IMGP2672.jpg

(with his/her sister, Evelyn (aka "Evil Little Hen" in the background)

IMGP2667.jpg

thoughts?

(ETA)- also, is this color "blue" or "lavender"? Or is it too early to tell?

Last edited:
its blue...lavendar is an even all over light blue while blue is 2 toned ( a blueish body with dark blue almost black lacing and the head is dark blue/black along with the saddle feathers on the roosters)

Quote:
Sunny is most likely a boy with that coloring up at only 8 weeks old - also the red on the shoulders is indicative of a male as well.
I also don't think Sunny is a full Araucana, I think he is an easter egger that carries the rumpless gene. araucana besides being rumpless also should have noticeable full beards and cheek tuft like wings that spring by the eyes and the leg color is more yellow/olive instead of slate.
smile.png

Admiral I do not know, its hard to tell, is Admiral the same age as Sunny? Admiral is blue. - lavender is a very pale solid color, "regular blue" also known as andalusian blue tends to have darker/black lacing on the feathers. Thats what makes Admiral's individial feathers noticeable and kind kind of pop out to the eyes.
smile.png
With blue you can also get birds that are splash and a lighter blue with flecks of darker blue feathers and little to no lacing...By the way I love Admiral!

I don't know if I will be any help. Sunny is looking like a roo (but could still be a pullet) and I don't think pure Araucana have green legs...I think that might classify him as EE. I am not positive, but all of my EEs have had green legs. Also, his color looks off to be pure to me.
hmm.png

Also, it looks like he has a tiny beard and muffs, which I think would be a disqualification in the US for Araucana.
The other two are blue, and I would say more than likely they are both EEs. Admiral could go either way, but I am leaning slightly toward roo. And, Evelyn I am just the opposite, leaning more toward pullet.
That's my thoughts.
hmm.png

It is funny how Admiral is posing the same way in both the pics. Like he might be saying something like "This is my good side" (and flex muscles).
lol.png

Quote:
???? I thought Araucanas were supposed to be rumpless (some not being) with ear tufts (some with and some without, and it being a fatal gene) and yellow/dark slate legs, and UK versions having beards and muffs. Ameraucanas to have beards and muffs with dark slate legs. Hens from both laying blue eggs. And, Easter Eggers laying any egg color, with or without beards and/or muffs, any leg color, and any plumage coloration. ??????

Sunny is a rumpless EE, then... got it! He came from a "barnyard mix" that included EE's, Americuana and true Arauacana's (according to the listing, anyway).

i dont think its an araucana as its not pure white...white araucanas are 100% white with no other colors thus s/he would be an ee (i'm leaning towards pullet with the comb still so small)

That is what had me questioning my original thought of "roo". On my last go around, it was pretty obvious who was a girl & who was a boy by 8wks. He acts very "roo like", but between Sunnys lack of a tail & tiny, but red little comb- its been a hard call to make. I guess I'll know when/if he crows, LOL!

The Admiral is 8wks old today as well & yes, he/she DOES like to model his/her "good" side for pictures... the other side hasnt quite lost all the baby fuzz yet, LOL! Once again, going on how my first round of babies developed, its a hard call to make. There's no red coloring on the wings, no long tail feathers, and the comb is still small & light pink, which makes me think "pullet"... but then, the way he/she behaves and those thick little legs make me think "boy"...

At least I've finally got the color right, LOL! THANKS!!!​

with peacomb breeds their combs don't start popping up noticeably till much later, at 8 weeks I'm pretty sure Sunny is a roo.

I actually think Admiral may be a pure Ameraucana, as you said they came from a mix of EE, Ams, and Aracauanas...Blue is a recognized variety of Ameraucanas. Evelyn is a black, she may stay true black but if she gets alot of red leakage as she ages she is an EE.

Quote:
???? I thought Araucanas were supposed to be rumpless (some not being) with ear tufts (some with and some without, and it being a fatal gene) and yellow/dark slate legs, and UK versions having beards and muffs. Ameraucanas to have beards and muffs with dark slate legs. Hens from both laying blue eggs. And, Easter Eggers laying any egg color, with or without beards and/or muffs, any leg color, and any plumage coloration. ??????

x2 I believe thats what I heard also.

Back
Top Bottom