1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My name is Donna and I'm addicted to chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by liliesprom, Dec 12, 2010.

1. liliesprom

liliesprom New Egg

Dec 12, 2010
    We got our first chickens in August (8 chicks--easter eggers, cochin, dominique, maran, buff orph,wynadotte, & australorpe). They have grown into beautiful healthy girls. I'm anxiously awaiting their first eggs--hoping for a Christmas morning surprise. We live adjacent to a neighborhood on 6 acres, but the girls live in their custom built house (now I know how to use power tools!) and have a nice run. Due to our hawk and critter population, I'm scared to let them free range. Maybe I'll let them roam this spring when I can mother hen them during the longer days.
    My latest addition--a friend found a chicken in shock in the road...thinking it fell off the chicken truck on its way to slaughter and brought her to me. Appears to be a leghorn in molt. She is a sweet girl, but has a naked bottom, no tail feathers and diarrhea. I am keeping her in the bathroom in a small cage with pine shavings. She is eating and drinking. She had a bad odor, so once I was sure she was stable, I gave her a bath--a first for me. She loved it! Now I'm working to try to resolve the diarrhea.
    Thanks for the site...looking forward to getting to know y'all.

2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] Welcome! Hello! I see that you are starting off great! You did a great job choosing breeds!

Good luck with the Leghorn! Maybe you should check out the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures section to get further help on that. I thought maybe seeing a pic of a White Leghorn could help you identify her breed. This is my White Legorn:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, she has that trademark lopped over comb.

I know how anxious i was, waiting for the first eggs from my hens!

Have fun here on BYC!

ChickLover98

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Donna, [​IMG] and join the club. You'll also become addicted to BYC...[​IMG]

4. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, yes she will! [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I recommend you keep your newly found Leghorn in quarantine away from your current flock.

6. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

You could have a cornish cross meat chicken. A picture would help. Quarintine for sure.

7. Peipooch

Peipooch Out Of The Brooder

Welcome!

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. liliesprom

liliesprom New Egg

Dec 12, 2010
    thanks for the welcomes and quarantine advice for the rescued chicken...I'm on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by