My name is Kim and I am an addict...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I just won 12 Silkie eggs off of eBay..wasn't I just complaining about my shipped eggs a few threads down? .. Oh yeah, while I am confessing, I also have 12 Ameracauna/Easter eggers coming by way of Ebay, due to ship out tomorrow...my husband really shouldnt go out of town and leave me alone with the computer and a paypal account...

Um, I decided that my coop will hold FIVE..only because I thought two, then three, then I settled at FOUR...and my husband said yesterday, while talking about the coop: "We are only going to have five or six hens anyway so it doesn't matter..." (I actually have no idea what doesn't matter...I wasn't listening to him until he said FIVE)... I will need five to keep my neighbor happy by sharing some eggs...

So, my brother in law is going to have plenty for his farm, and darn it- [​IMG] that means I have even more weeks of stressing over an incubator.

Going to go peep at my eggs now that are still incubating..

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    When he gets home meet him at the door with his favorite cold beverage cook him a nice steak dinner and rub his shoulder's. ONLY then is it safe to mention the extra eggs that are comming.

Thust me on this, it helps. I speak from experience.

3. ChickenWendy

ChickenWendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    who did you win your silkie eggs from? 1234muki? if so she sent 16 & i have had 9 develop so far. i only have until friday to wait. and i can hardly wait!! Good luck dealing with your hubby. mine doesnt know i have an incubator coming this week with more silkie eggs coming also!! i have about 23 eggs in the incubator total!! he will want to kill me! but they are so cool - the chickens!

4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Oh, whatcha got in the incubaor now? I am in SE MI too [​IMG]

5. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Bird-Brain,

He doesnt really have to worry..I am doing all of this because of his brother. He had something kill his entire flock one night and I volunteered to hatch him out some. So, I started out just hatching...then decided I really wanted some 'illegals' here, too. Started a coop all by myself, which he finished, complained the whole time though.

Chicken-Wendy,

I won them from Dusty in Ohio..says 12+...as long as ONE white pullet hatches out healthy, I will be happy. I SOOOOO need to name one Q-tip to satisfy my craving..(which I didnt know I even had, until I saw Jen's of Sassy Silkies website.)

FullHouse-

I have two serama eggs left, due tomorrow...I have a few (three/four) due next week from a terrible shipment that was mostly yolk and shells..what wasnt broken has thus far not turned out so well. I just tossed my three banties today. Mystery eggs...if I am lucky a couple Black Giants. Then, I have the replacement shipment also, that is not starting out so well- but most of those are too dark shelled for me to candle.

6. AK-Bird-brain

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Yep that's how it all starts. "I'll only keep 4 or 5 for myself" or "I only want 1 silkie to name Q-Tip" but what you don't know yet is that if you get a Q-Tip your gonna need a Cotton Ball, then a FuzzyButt!
    Chickens especially Silkie Banties are an addiction. Don't worry were here to help you.

This will help you understand what stage of the addiction your at (and what is left to look forward to).
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=40622

7. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:Oh! Oh! Oh1 Q-tip and Cottonball..oh...how cute..well, wouldnt want the Silkie to get a complex-being the only different one...and ummm, Dandy...as in Dandylion fluff....heh heh heh...

Edit to add:
    I just showed my 12 year old a picture of a silkie chicken and told her that was what type of eggs we are going to try and hatch next..and she looked at the picture and said: "Poodle chickens?"
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So, that being said- I am not allowed to have chickens here in the suburbs but I AM allowed poodles..sooo, maybe a silkie named Fifi, heh heh heh...

Oh! One more thing...I just ordered an automatic turner..decided that it will make my addiction so much easier...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  8. AK-Bird-brain

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Yep we got one Elvis, then had to get Priscilla, now we have 8 white 3 black and a blue.

Some folks call them exotic ground dwelling parrots.

9. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I alwayts tell myself no more, but then another box shows up. I should stop looking on eBay but I can't help it........

10. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    Me too I have got 2 dozen eggs in the mail in the last 2 days. I am up to my neck in eggs. I seriously think I need to stop. I will cull in large numbers to keep my flock a medium size

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by