My name is Wendy

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've had chickens for around 50 years. My science teacher gave me a RIR rooster, so my dad went to his friend, Jess Hansen, and got me some Hansen Leghorn hens (the first breed to lay more than 300 eggs per year).
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Around 40.
(3) What breeds do you have?
I prefer to have multiple breeds, as they generally don't all moult at the same time, plus it's just more interesting, and promotes genetic diversity (I have several mixed breeds). My replacement chicks this year are blue laced red Wyandotte, silver laced Wyandotte, Novagen, Americauna, Barred Rock, and some that are half Americauna, 1/4 Rhode Island Red, 1/8 Cochin, and 1/8 Silkie.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love watching them grow, plus farm-raised eggs are the best.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Knitting, crocheting, sewing, gardening, carpentry, and reading.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a MS in Poultry Science, genetics option.
I've been married for 40 years. We have four children and five grandchildren. We volunteer with Mennonite Disaster Service and ORVOAD.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community
I found it on Pinterest.
awesopme.jpg

welcome20.gif

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Hi Wendy and welcome :frow:welcome It sounds like you have a lovely busy life!
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Knitting, crocheting, sewing, gardening, carpentry, and reading.
Me too - except the carpentry but need to get brave as I need to start doing chicken things!
I have a MS in Poultry Science, genetics option.
That is very cool, I'm sure your knowledge will be so appreciated on here!

Look forward to chatting :D

Back
Top Bottom