My name is Wendy

Colvinwe

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2018
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've had chickens for around 50 years. My science teacher gave me a RIR rooster, so my dad went to his friend, Jess Hansen, and got me some Hansen Leghorn hens (the first breed to lay more than 300 eggs per year).
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Around 40.
(3) What breeds do you have?
I prefer to have multiple breeds, as they generally don't all moult at the same time, plus it's just more interesting, and promotes genetic diversity (I have several mixed breeds). My replacement chicks this year are blue laced red Wyandotte, silver laced Wyandotte, Novagen, Americauna, Barred Rock, and some that are half Americauna, 1/4 Rhode Island Red, 1/8 Cochin, and 1/8 Silkie.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love watching them grow, plus farm-raised eggs are the best.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Knitting, crocheting, sewing, gardening, carpentry, and reading.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a MS in Poultry Science, genetics option.
I've been married for 40 years. We have four children and five grandchildren. We volunteer with Mennonite Disaster Service and ORVOAD.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community

I found it on Pinterest.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens Wendy! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: You should keep breeding chickens until you get the offspring that has the characteristics you are satisfied with, it sounds like a fun hobby! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

th

Wendy! Glad to have you join our flock! With 50 years chicken experience, you are definitely a gem of information and experience to have with us! Can't wait to read more of your postings!

Back
Top Bottom