My name is Zach, and I love wood ducks, but I'm having trouble raising wood ducks

zbrueningsen

In the Brooder
May 28, 2022
Hello everyone,

We are in love with wood ducks, as we had an orphan wander into our yard 2 years ago with no parents or siblings around. My girls asked if we could raise him, and he bonded with us and was beautiful. Yeah we have the proper permits for those who will ask.

Since then we have unfortunately lost 3 of the 4 woods we have had to sudden deaths. They seemed perfectly healthy one day and the next we have found them dead. We have gone through ALL the simple things, water, food, pond. We just lost our drake 2 days ago and it caught us very off guard. So we are down to our beautiful hen.

Their aviary is large for having a pair of woods (10'x'17'x7) and they have a small chicken run house inside there. We call it all duckberg. I've begun to suspect that since we are next our black walnut trees if they are getting poisoned from them. Black walnut trees are pretty awful to some animals and have several different ways they can harm or kill animals.

We are moving our aviary away from the black walnut trees as our last try to see if that is the issue. Anyway, that is an introduction/details of our situation right now.

We love our woods, but are kind of heartbroken over it all right now. I have 3 girls that love ducks in a special way. Looking forward to conversing with you all and learning more!

Hello everyone,

We are in love with wood ducks, as we had an orphan wander into our yard 2 years ago with no parents or siblings around. My girls asked if we could raise him, and he bonded with us and was beautiful. Yeah we have the proper permits for those who will ask.

Since then we have unfortunately lost 3 of the 4 woods we have had to sudden deaths. They seemed perfectly healthy one day and the next we have found them dead. We have gone through ALL the simple things, water, food, pond. We just lost our drake 2 days ago and it caught us very off guard. So we are down to our beautiful hen.

Their aviary is large for having a pair of woods (10'x'17'x7) and they have a small chicken run house inside there. We call it all duckberg. I've begun to suspect that since we are next our black walnut trees if they are getting poisoned from them. Black walnut trees are pretty awful to some animals and have several different ways they can harm or kill animals.

We are moving our aviary away from the black walnut trees as our last try to see if that is the issue. Anyway, that is an introduction/details of our situation right now.

We love our woods, but are kind of heartbroken over it all right now. I have 3 girls that love ducks in a special way. Looking forward to conversing with you all and learning more!
Welcome to BYC! I believe I just wrote back to your PM. ☺️
What exactly are you feeding your wood ducks, and could you post a photo of your pen?
I would definitely see if moving them away from those trees helps. Again, I'm really sorry about your birds. I know how hard that is to go through.

Back
Top Bottom