My Nankin Bantam chicks

Pics

Fluffy Lambs

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
May 10, 2021
The Hot State
Here some pics of them I took today....

I only have 4 left of my ones from @simonerol, but I don't even know if they're mine (ones I hatched from my two) or if they are from her, because I didn't band them or anything (dumb move on my part :(). A few died, a few disappeared, but I was able to fix the disappearing. They are the smallest of any chicks I've ever had, even smaller than my Silkies! They are almost six weeks now. I will hopefully have a lot more to choose from, because I hatched a bunch out from my two. The only thing with those ones is they may inherit they're dad's grey under color and white legs, which are the only thing I don't like about him. He has a really good Nankin type, and he also has minor scissor beak but that hasn't come up in any of his many chicks. I think I have 3 pullets and 1 cockerel of the ones I have left. I think all the 4 older ones I have are all from @simonerol.

This one is the best out of the 4 so far. @MROO does it loo similar to yours at all? (6 weeks)
IMG_8086.JPG
IMG_8087.JPG
IMG_8094.JPG
IMG_8092.JPG
IMG_8091.JPG

This one is a little funky, but is doing ok right now. I call it Sleepy 😂❤️
IMG_8098.JPG

And here is one more.... If you can see that black spot on it's beak, that is from my fowl pox outbreak. Luckily it is the dry kind, and it has started to go away (I think?)
I don't have a picture of the fourth one or I would post it too.
IMG_8085.JPG

Here some pics of them I took today....

I only have 4 left of my ones from @simonerol, but I don't even know if they're mine (ones I hatched from my two) or if they are from her, because I didn't band them or anything (dumb move on my part :(). A few died, a few disappeared, but I was able to fix the disappearing. They are the smallest of any chicks I've ever had, even smaller than my Silkies! They are almost six weeks now. I will hopefully have a lot more to choose from, because I hatched a bunch out from my two. The only thing with those ones is they may inherit they're dad's grey under color and white legs, which are the only thing I don't like about him. He has a really good Nankin type, and he also has minor scissor beak but that hasn't come up in any of his many chicks. I think I have 3 pullets and 1 cockerel of the ones I have left. I think all the 4 older ones I have are all from @simonerol.

This one is the best out of the 4 so far. @MROO does it loo similar to yours at all? (6 weeks)
View attachment 2833760
View attachment 2833764
View attachment 2833767
View attachment 2833768
View attachment 2833771

This one is a little funky, but is doing ok right now. I call it Sleepy 😂❤️
View attachment 2833772

And here is one more.... If you can see that black spot on it's beak, that is from my fowl pox outbreak. Luckily it is the dry kind, and it has started to go away (I think?)
I don't have a picture of the fourth one or I would post it too.
View attachment 2833773
Congratulations! You have a nice start! She's small, which is great. They're supposed to be little! If your chicks are as big as your silkies, they're way too big. Newly hatched Nankin chicks should fit on a quarter ... and you may still see the rigdy edges. I'm currently trying to breed down for size, too. My best roo is small, but a bit too heavy. He's just too nice in every other department to not use him, so I'm really excited that my latest pullet, sired by his brother, is really tiny.

I'm jealous of your hatch! ;) I only got one chick out of the three (of five) that made it to 20 days, but she's a really small, really red little lady, so I'll count that as a good result, anyway. Since she's an only, naming her was really easy. She's Hen Solo! I'll try to get some good pics of her and The Captain over the weekend. Everyone but Solo just went through a hard molt, so the only sickle feathers I see are the ones on the coop floor ... sigh ... In addition, we're still reworking the coop and run, so everything ... and everybody... is muddy and bedraggled. Tailless, muddy birds do not photograph well ... again ... sigh ... !

Congratulations! You have a nice start! She's small, which is great. They're supposed to be little! If your chicks are as big as your silkies, they're way too big. Newly hatched Nankin chicks should fit on a quarter ... and you may still see the rigdy edges. I'm currently trying to breed down for size, too. My best roo is small, but a bit too heavy. He's just too nice in every other department to not use him, so I'm really excited that my latest pullet, sired by his brother, is really tiny.

I'm jealous of your hatch! ;) I only got one chick out of the three (of five) that made it to 20 days, but she's a really small, really red little lady, so I'll count that as a good result, anyway. Since she's an only, naming her was really easy. She's Hen Solo! I'll try to get some good pics of her and The Captain over the weekend. Everyone but Solo just went through a hard molt, so the only sickle feathers I see are the ones on the coop floor ... sigh ... In addition, we're still reworking the coop and run, so everything ... and everybody... is muddy and bedraggled. Tailless, muddy birds do not photograph well ... again ... sigh ... !
Aww thanks! These ones definitely did fit on a quarter when they hatched. Chicks I hatch from the two older ones I have are actually as big as a LF chick when they hatch.... I have some of them that are 2-3 weeks younger then my ones from @simonerol, but are already as big or bigger. Mostly just the little cockerels though.

My hatchery Nankin roo. His tail is usually way bigger/fuller (and I mean like up as high as his head/comb), but he just went through a bad mid-summer molt. I have him with all the chicks right now just in case. He seems like he enjoys them.
IMG_8215.JPG

And congrats on Hen Solo! Love her name!

Aww thanks! These ones definitely did fit on a quarter when they hatched. Chicks I hatch from the two older ones I have are actually as big as a LF chick when they hatch.... I have some of them that are 2-3 weeks younger then my ones from @simonerol, but are already as big or bigger. Mostly just the little cockerels though.

My hatchery Nankin roo. His tail is usually way bigger/fuller (and I mean like up as high as his head/comb), but he just went through a bad mid-summer molt. I have him with all the chicks right now just in case. He seems like he enjoys them.
View attachment 2834803

Weighed Nathaniel (that is his name)- 23.77 ounces.
Nanna (my hatchery hen)- 21.54 ounces.

View attachment 2834803

He's pretty I really like his deep coloring - his red is really dark and the green topcolor in his tail is gorgeous!. His legs look pale, but that may be a trick of the light. Are they slate or do they lean more towards white? If you breed darker legged hens to him, you should get closer to a true slate-blue leg in your chicks. That pink-on-slate leg coloring is hard to nail down!

Back
Top Bottom