My Nankin Bantam chicks

He's pretty I really like his deep coloring - his red is really dark and the green topcolor in his tail is gorgeous!. His legs look pale, but that may be a trick of the light. Are they slate or do they lean more towards white? If you breed darker legged hens to him, you should get closer to a true slate-blue leg in your chicks. That pink-on-slate leg coloring is hard to nail down!
Thank you! His legs are pure white (minus the pink stripe). Nanna has blue legs and has passed that on to a lot of her chicks (sired by Nathaniel).
IMG_8344.JPG
IMG_8345.JPG

Chick that already has the grey undercolor-
IMG_8341.JPG

This baffles me- I bred Nathaniel to a mutt hen with yellow legs, so yellow x white legs. They're daughter, "Queen" Natalie, has the bluest legs ever!
IMG_7833.JPG

I have another question for you, @MROO. If you use the ABA legbands, what size do get?
Nope, don't use them. I don't keep that many birds at a time, so a standard plastic bantam band works. I keep a written record of who has what color on which leg. I only have three breeding roos, right now and they're all different ages (1, 2, and 5) so they're easy to tell apart. I'm going to have to band the youngest one, though. He's right at that "If it moves, I'll mate with it" stage and my son likes to be prepared. For some reason, getting wet socks from a rooster just isn't his cup of tea ... if ya know what I mean ... ;)

Thank you! His legs are pure white (minus the pink stripe). Nanna has blue legs and has passed that on to a lot of her chicks (sired by Nathaniel).
View attachment 2835784
View attachment 2835789

Chick that already has the grey undercolor-
View attachment 2835787

This baffles me- I bred Nathaniel to a mutt hen with yellow legs, so yellow x white legs. They're daughter, "Queen" Natalie, has the bluest legs ever!
View attachment 2835790
Now, THAT's a pretty hen! LOVE that tail color! Does she have a pink stripe down her legs?

Now, THAT's a pretty hen! LOVE that tail color! Does she have a pink stripe down her legs?
Thanks! No, she doesn't. Just blue. I can see some of Nathaniel's young chicks already getting the stripe though. Yeah, she is beautiful isn't she! She's Queen for a reason 🤣🤣

I thought I had three little pullets, well today I discovered I had three little cockerels.🤣 hopefully I get pullets from Connie in the spring.😊

I put my new leg bands on two of them, one I didn't because it's legs are to small right now. 😁

Back
Top Bottom