My neighbor has 15+ cats and I'm afraid to let my chickens free range!

I have banties, albeit mixed and some are quite leggy for such little guys. I also have cats, my neighbors have cats and there is no shortage of strays...

My little flock whoops on all of 'em!! Banties don't know they're little! (And for cryin' out loud don't tell them either!
lol.png
) The hen's and pullets don't take any nonsense from some little furry thing.

For their sake I don't let them out until they are full sized... I don't worry about their age. Until then I use a tractor or perhaps a portable dog pen, I covered my metal dog pen with chicken wire so the cats could not crawl in and get them. Hope this helps.

don't take any chances.. we are having problem with a wild one at the moment... took out 6 banties and 1 orpington hen within 2 weeks... quite a smart one too as it's been avoiding all the traps...

It is unfortunate that this has to become your problem. Even if you had a fence, the cats would just go over it. If they were dogs she would have to secure them, right? Why is a cat any different? I would ask her to secure her cats so at least you would have talked to her about it first. Then I would make sure your chickens don't leave your property, because if they did then you are just as guilty of not securing as she is. Then if the cats messed with the chickens you have every right to take care of the problem. (which would suck).

Electric fence- three strands, ground lever + 2 inches, four feet up, top of fence.

Then tell your neighbor:

"I am having predator problems and for the safety of your cats, as these awful animals carry diseases- ya know coons* and possums* and such* (replace with actual local bad critters), I'm fencing my chicken off with electric fence- the bad critters may move to where you feed your cats so keep an eye out... I saw a (bad critter) just yesterday before dusk, carrying what may have been a kitten or puppy... So I might also use some live traps - but with poison in them, keeps out the smart critters, and makes sure the bad critters die- your carts ... are smart right?"

My next door neighbors AND my neighbors across the street both have ferrel cats. The lady next door traps hers and has them spayed/neutered at the vet; the lady across the street doesn't. I agree that once chickens are full-grown, they can pretty much take care of themselves if a cat is stupid enough to try and take one. I've never had a problem, but have seen several cats 'watching' my girls when they are free-ranging and when they are in their portable pen. I've made hints to the neighbors, but to no avail. They both are very attached to all of their cats, although it's beyond me how you get attached to ferrel cats! I'm a dog lover myself, but I know of chickens that have been killed by dogs but, so far, none killed by cats.

trap the cats and relocate them 122.3 miles from their home. do it at night under the cover of darkness. wear camo and place the trap strategically. after said cat has been caught relocate him and repeat until all cats are gone. if your lucky you could get 2 cats at once. Mission Accomplished. your welcome! PS. if that doesnt work try a pellet gun with a night scope and silencer

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom