JLS

Love my feathered babies!
13 Years
May 29, 2009
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Okay so here's the issue:

My Silkie roo has been crowing at 2:30am several times a week. I have started to turn off the light that is by my side door since he can see that when he roosts. I make sure that I sleep with my window open at night because if my neighbor (he now has) complains about my roo I can say "Yup, I know what you mean. As you can see I sleep with my window open too."

My neighbor caught me going into my house with groceries and preceeded to complain about my roo. He says it is driving him nuts and he's loosing 2-3 hours of sleep each night bacause of my roo. He wants it to stop ASAP. I explained that I forgot to shut off the light last night and that I too am woken up by his crowing. He then suggested to muzzle the bird
hmm.png

Is there anything else I can do to keep him quiet at night? Getting rid of him is NOT an option! I am zoned as rural/mixed-use so I am allowed to have chickens including roos.

unfortunately theres not much you can do to keep him from crowing. i would calmly explain to the neighbor your empathy with him and suggest earphones while sleeping.
smile.png

Only way I know to keep your neighbor from hearing him is buy your neighbor some earmuffs. I havent ever found a way to shut up a roo
gig.gif

No. The coop is located about 1.5-2 acres away from his house. I am the one who should be complaing about the noise since the coop is about 500 ft from my bedroom window.

Can you insulate the coop? It will help with temps in the summer and winter and will also muffle crowing until mr. roo is let out in the morning at a more civilized hour. My coop is insulated and it really helps. No complaints.

JJ

I too am allowed roosters, but do not keep them, in deference to our neighbors, who are also good egg customers. We do our breeding and keep our roosters at a brothers place, who has no neighbors, anywhere. Our lots here are each a few acres, but the sound travels 1/4 to 1/2 mile with no problems. I am grateful to have good neighbors and so I defer. Also glad I have an option you may or may not have.

The laws state you can keep a roo unless a neighbor complains! So What I do is right before I go to bed I go get my roo while he is roosting and put him in a big dog crate in my barn with the doors closed. I don't let him out until after 9 in the morning. Do you have a shed you can put him in / in a crate? Otherwise I'm afraid he might make you get rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom