My neighbor is getting upset! HELP!

slabcrappy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
Orchard Park, NY
I free range my chickens and have a 4', chain link, fully fenced yard. I have had chickens for 3 years and have not had this problem. The younger birds that I added to the flock this Spring are hopping up on the fence and going into the neighbors yard every day. I have clipped one wing on them, added an unstable strip of chicken wire with zip ties the entire length of the fence to deter them from going up there, but neither of these methods are working. She is now saying that her very old, decrepit dog was violently ill this weekend and she is suggesting that it is because her dog likes to eat their droppings. Does anyone out there have any advice, success stories or wisdom that they might want to share?

Thank you,
Sal

Until or unless you solve this issue, you're going to have to go to plan B. Keep them in a run or build a tractor or use portable fencing, moving it around your own yard.

You cannot, must not allow your chickens to leave your property. Whatever it takes, you cannot allow them to roam your yard because they aren't staying put. We've all been through similar situations. Feel for ya, but with regrets, there is nothing else you can do but restrain them. Sorry. Hope you get it worked out very quickly.

I don't quite follow how you put the chicken wire on, does it make the fence higher? You seem to have mostly good sized birds and while 4 foot might not be much of a problem, 6+ foot should slow them down especially if you have clipped wings really well. Is it only a few that are getting out and could those be separated for now? Do be careful, if your neighbor is complaining about the dog getting sick, you really need to keep them contained.

I don't quite follow how you put the chicken wire on, does it make the fence higher? You seem to have mostly good sized birds and while 4 foot might not be much of a problem, 6+ foot should slow them down especially if you have clipped wings really well. Is it only a few that are getting out and could those be separated for now? Do be careful, if your neighbor is complaining about the dog getting sick, you really need to keep them contained.
You need to keep them contained anyway. The neighbor shouldn't have to worry about the birds being on her property. I highly doubt the dog is ill from eating chicken poop--if that were the case my dogs would have been dead long ago lol. But that's beside the point, being a responsible animal owner means keeping your animal on your property. You need to either add to your fence, I agree 6 feet would be a good start. Or confine the birds in question for a length of time and see if that breaks their habit of roaming. It's not pretty, but we have added height to a fence before by using that orange plastic fencing stuff--just sank some longer t posts and used baling twine to tie the plastic fence to the existing fence and the t posts.

You can buy deer fence at farm and fleet up to 8' tall. I considered this at one time.

View Larger
Share on email Share on facebook Share on pinterest_share More Sharing Services 5

Easy Gardener Mesh Fence Deer Barrier

Blain # 330414 | Mfr # LG400171GD

(1 review)
Read 1 Review
Write a Review

$57.99
Quantity:
Ship this Item - Limited Availability Ships to an address via FedEx, USPS or Ground Freight.

FREE In-Store Pick-up at Montgomery, IL - AvailableHours/Map | Change Local Store

Height: 7'
Length: 100'
r fence up to 8' tall at farm and fleet, and its cheap. It is also a plastic but black. I considered this at one point.

I used the deer fencing myself when my chickens were roaming over to the neighbor's yard. Turned out they had inadvertently cause the chickens to WANT to go there by dumping a bag of old feed out on their driveway, and now that it's gone, the chickens have zero desire to go over there. But the fencing worked very well to keep the chickens contained. I still use it as daypens for young birds.

I had to confine my hens to the run this summer as they were getting into my neighbors gardens. My problem is that when it rains the run smells. What can i do to make the run less smelly. the run is 8x 28' and i have 23 pullets

I had to confine my hens to the run this summer as they were getting into my neighbors gardens. My problem is that when it rains the run smells. What can i do to make the run less smelly. the run is 8x 28' and i have 23 pullets
I rototill mine once in awhile.Turn the smelly ground over. My run in covered, but I am sure this will help. Maybe sprinkle some lime over it to balance the soil.

Back
Top Bottom