My neighbor's dog just attacked my chickens.

So she's in a larger tote right now with a partially covered lid so she feels more hidden, seems to be out of shock (judging by the glares i'm getting). i gave her food and water and left the lights on low. see about antibiotics today. The wound doesn't look any worse, still isn't bleeding. We washed the wound with a little water and antibiotic before putting her in the clean tote.

She's still not walking on her injured leg... i am debating taking her to the vet (assuming it's dislocated?) but she HATES being handled so i'm worried she'll hurt herself more in the struggling... because she will, with everything she's got.

Do i ...like bring in one of the lower ranking chickens to keep her company (my guineas really seem to hate being alone) and encourage her to eat? for a visit?

My chicken who was attacked by a dog is doing amazingly well. I cannot believe how good her injury looks....at first I was sure it was curtains for her, but she is so much better I put her back with the flock. I did isolate her at first while she was in shock. She is a high ranking bird in my flock and I have two low ranking ones that are currently broody so I put them in with her. It worked great. She wanted to make sure she got all the food and they, being broody, did not care and did not try to peck at her wound. I doubt they would have anyway as they know she is Top Hen. Anyway, I isolated her from the main flock for about a week total and now I have to really inspect them to pick her out (except for her personality). Good luck with yours, but this is the second time one of my chickens survived a heinous injury!

Back
Top Bottom