My nerves and the heat are both in the highs...

Darklingstorm

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
Durant, Oklahoma
I have some day old chicks coming through the mail this week and the weather couldn't be worse for this time of year. They say the chicks will be mailed on Monday (tomorrow) and should be here Tuesday-Thursday. The temperature is supposed to hit 107 with a heat index of 112 on Monday and even hotter for the rest of the week with temps reaching 109 before adding the heat index. I'm so nervous and scared they won't be OK. I'm setting up their box today getting ready for their arrival.

1 Delaware
1 Welsummer
1 Jersey Giant Rooster
2 Easter Eggers
2 Polish

I'm also setting up "hospitals" (totes with wire tops) for my other adult chickens in case of heat exhaustion. I've got ice bottles in their waters, a mister unit going, frozen treats given at the peak of heat time and fans going. Also going to put another source of water outside that will be refreshed every 2 hours with ice during the day.

They say this is one of the worse years on record for Oklahoma with high temperatures and very little rain. We are currently under a burn ban and not supposed to use outside water until after 10pm, but I keep the mister going for my chickens/ducks/dogs and the city can just fine me for it. My yard is all yellow and it hurts to walk on it, but my girls are still producing eggs (average 5 a day out of 9).

I'm also treating a sick chicken that has some kind of infection (not sure what) and the vet gave me shots to give her. Everyone has to wash their hands immediately after touching her, even my 2 year old know to do it, because of the new chicks coming and general cleanliness. On a good note after one dose of meds. she is eating better and drinking better and seems to be getting back to normal.

The next couple of days is going to test my patience to the limit.
fl.gif

Hi! I hope everything goes smoothly and your chicks are OK. It's awfully hot to be shipping chicks, isn't it?

We were hovering just over 100* here earlier this afternoon, but got a thundershower that cooled everything off a bit.
Hope it cools off there soon,
and good luck with the new arrivals!
smile.png

Lisa

Freeze milk jugs of water, and put them in the coop. The chickens will run from them, but will eventually figure out that they are cool, and will huddle around them!

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, Darklingstorm...mine are set to come in about a week after yours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the heat. I'm in Kansas and you're right, the heat has been a beast. Best of luck to you and your new arrivals!

Some may ask why I ordered them in this heat, but I didn't. I ordered my chicks back in June and there was no way to tell that the weather was going to be so bad. I was assured by the hatchery that the chicks would be OK to send in this heat (I'm hoping they are right) as I called them a week ago and asked. I talked to the Post office lady a couple of weeks ago and she said that they would call me when they arrived, but would not call me at 5:30am when the trucks usually showed up. This last Friday I called the Post Office and told them to call me as soon as possible to come and get them and not to wait for I would have the phone with me at all times.

Here is hoping for the best but prepared for the worse.

Back
Top Bottom