My new and first Coop Build..

I love it!! We used louvred doors too. Here I thought I was so original!
tongue.png

We are really busting a move to get this coop ready for move in on Saturday. We have the main doors to put up and work to do on the floor. That is all scheduled for tomorrow. The girls painted the inside today, gave themselves a nice base so they can paint some awesome artwork on the inside for our chicks and ducks viewing pleasure. Domenic and Michele will be putting the last of the wire up in the cuppola. Today we wanted to make our own feeder and Mike came up with a great design so Dom and Mike built it. Turned out awesome! Trying to decide if we should run feed and water inside coop or outside in the run. Any suggestions? Traci seems to think we should keep the feeding and watering outside of the coop. She feels that the coop is for roosting protection at night and laying. Any comments on this??

Quote:
We found them and we couldn't see the point of not using them... Free is good!
we also found a lot of use with bamboo.. we have a ton of it on the property.. I plan on building a ramp from bamboo, and we also used it as trim on the edges of the coop..

If you're looking for good first timers and egg layers then Barred Plymouth Rocks are perfect. I own three and they are absolutely delightful. Their disposition is lovely and they really like being with people. Plus they are egg laying machines. I also have three Rhode Island Reds which are also egg laying machines and delightful birds but they're not quite as personable as the rocks.

Quote:
We found them and we couldn't see the point of not using them... Free is good!
we also found a lot of use with bamboo.. we have a ton of it on the property.. I plan on building a ramp from bamboo, and we also used it as trim on the edges of the coop..

I'm all about the free! Not so much the planning ahead. We're on our third remodel and we just got the first chicks in March! Couldnt' have done any of it without found material. Wish we had bamboo. A tiki hut coop would be fun!

I love my RIR's. They girl is a fast learner and they're personable. Not cuddly by any means but tolerant and suppose to be good egg layers. My bantams not so much and the polish are just horrid.

Quote:
we are considering RIR's.. BPR. are those almost like the Dominique's? seem to have same feather pattern... will look in to those.. another thing is finding these breeds at the time of need.. Most peeps are selling champion lines...

Really nice work and if someone don't like it... release the ducks on them and enjoy the show!
gig.gif

Guessing you have snakes and digging predators in your area. What steps are you taking to keep them out?

Assuming you get some exciting weather, are you going to anchor it down, in case of storms?

Are you setting any outside perches for hot nights? Bamboo makes great perches.

Looking forward to finished photos and interior shots
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom