My New Babies Pic's

Discussion in 'Geese' started by OmaBird, Jun 9, 2010.

1. roboboy

roboboy Songster

Nov 15, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    I see no brown africans or chinas, a pomeranian, possibly a buff african or american buffs, and the rest... can't tell yet could be anything else they have that starts out with that yellowish down. I'm not sure about that dark one either.

Whoops, forgot to say congratulations!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  2. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Songster

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    You noticed how the beak is half and half on the saddleback.. That means it is a grey pomeranian. [​IMG] The dark one could very well be an American Blue.. It looks kinda like the one I have. I agree with there being sebbies in there too, and I definitely still think the ones with less orange/pinkish beaks are American buff or possibly lavs.. The orangey looking bills should be the sebbies. The ones that are dark for the sebbies are most likely female.

On feathersite, you can see the difference between the females and the males: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Geese/BRKSebastopol.html

Here
    is a link to Holderread's breed page for Americans, which has a picture of the American lav and the color of the beak you should look for: http://www.holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/american_page/american_geese_page.htm

You
    can navigate around Holderread's other pages to see examples of other goslings. These are old pages, so some of them have missing info and stuff, and missing pictures.

3. OmaBird

OmaBird Songster

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I love them little but can't wait to see them grow up. I have been looking at the pictures and looking at them all night. That dark one has me puzzled. I didn't think the blues had the dark beak. I would not mind if it was a blue. What ever they are they are sweet and friendly and I think they love me.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  4. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    They don't when they grow up, but when they are young, they do. They look almost exactly like toulouse, but they are darker-looking up to their head. Here is a picture of mine (picture courtesy of Brian, a fellow BYCer), Jupiter, when he was young:

[​IMG]

And here is Jupiter recently (with a pair of saddleback poms):

[​IMG]

I suppose Jupe's beak will turn soon, but he/she's about a month old now (threeish weeks in the pics) and no change. [​IMG]

Aren't goslings just wonderful? [​IMG]

5. OmaBird

OmaBird Songster

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I hope I have some pairs there. My husband will kill me if I need to buy another 18. Next year maybe.

I see how the dark one looks the same. Thanks for the photos. It helps.

6. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    You hoped your new goslings would be perdy [​IMG] and I must concede, they certainly are.

I am excited to see what they become. All you who can recognize breeds from little fuzzy goslings amaze me [​IMG]

You think like I do. When I ended up with a flock of six ganders, I just bought more females. Of course.

7. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    You should definitely have pairs, as Holderreads generally sells only in pairs and straight run. You might have to buy a few more, but who cares?! (except for your husband.. and the husbands/wives of all BYCers.. and my mom) In my mind, the more the merrier! [​IMG]

You're welcome for the photos. I noticed that there are just about no pictures of American Blue goslings on the internet.. Hmm. I love my little American blue.. I hope to get some more next year. Can't wait for more pictures of their development!

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Here is a newly hatched american blue:
    [​IMG]
    And this is her at about 4 weeks old with some duck friends:
    [​IMG]

In this pic are american buffs and pilgrims, about 3 days old:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a few days-old embden:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  9. OmaBird

OmaBird Songster

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Those are so cute. I like how they look all sticky then turn into a little fluff ball. I need to give mine a bath today. They are sticky from the corn syrup water that had on there first day. I think if I have a heated warm room and warm water they should be fine. They sure are healthy. I am very excited about American Blue Geese and all of them for that matter. I do have Buff Tufted and Africans that are a few weeks old and going outside durring the day. I am shocked but my Africans are the more freindly ones of the two breeds. Its not that the Tufted are not friendly but the Africans seem to be easier to get to come to me when I need them to come in the house. My Holderread babies all seem so much different than how my older babies where. They even eat differently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: