1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My New Babies!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kpgoldstar, Oct 8, 2013.

1. kpgoldstar

kpgoldstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    Super excited to have picked up my first chickens as an adult. I raised them as a pre-teen in 4-H. Access to live chicks is extremely limited where I live in Arizona. 4 RIR's just about 2 weeks old today. They are absolutely adorable!! I asked for bands when we were there but they don't sell them. I was like Oh Well, maybe we can tell them apart. Oh yes certainly!! They all have different coloring especially on their heads so they already have nicknames until we can name them based on personality. We brought a box with construction sand with us and placed them in there for the 3 hour ride home. We asked about food or water but were told they would be fine.

It was apparent that they were thirsty and hungry because the incessant picking started just a few minutes down the road. Some were even drawing blood and I was in a PANIC! One was particularly aggressive and she was on the small side. I was hoping I had someone to call to make sure this was normal behavior, but I am so new to this site I don't have any rea friends yet. I picked them up a couple at a time and let them ride on my lap. They got so cozy and comfy with me. I would go about 20 minutes then trade them out for the other two in the box. The whole way home I did this. They were already showing so much character! We had one that is the biggest and she could fly up on the edge of the box. Another was just obsessed with traveling up my arm and getting to my shoulder so she could pick on my hair.

We survived the trip, got them into their brooder. They drank and ate like there was no tomorrow! It is 90 in my garage so I opted not to have a brooder light in there due to their age. They are happy and content, bellies full, roosting together and hardly a peep out of them.
    [​IMG]
    Riding on my lap on the way home
    [​IMG]
    Home and they have figured out how to eat!
    [​IMG]
    One of my girls who insisted on riding my arm the whole way home!
    [​IMG]
    Happy healthy, CUTE!!!!

Kristine

2. kpgoldstar

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    Here they are all enjoying the roost!
    [​IMG]

My garage is 90 degrees but that is ambient temp and not necessarily the above the back temp. The girls were acting a little cold so we put a small bulb in a brooder housing and they seem much more comfortable.
    [​IMG]

3. SweetLilChicken

SweetLilChicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Australia, Perth WA
    Wow they are so cute!
    Im so happy they made the trip home, they just love life now! [​IMG]

4. kpgoldstar

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    I have a question for any of you seasoned veterans. Mine are 2 weeks old. When can I start giving dry mealworm treats and when could I introduce kitchen scraps?

5. SweetLilChicken

SweetLilChicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Australia, Perth WA
    I would say about 5-6 weeks old until they could eat kitchen scraps and maybe 7 weeks for the mealworms.
    When feeding chickens, avoid certain foods such as;
    Avocadoes
    Peanuts
    Raw potatoes
    Chocolate
    sprouts

Good Luck and take care!
    Phoebe

6. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I got new babies today! 5 polish who are about 2 weeks old and super cute. Already have the little afros going on. 2 Easter Eggers and 4 Orpingtons that are about 12 weeks old.

Add this to the 8 we already had...
    My hubby may just kill me....[​IMG]

7. kpgoldstar

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    Thanks Phoebe!
    Hubby wanted to start giving them treats right away. I'm glad I asked. I have read all the things you are not supposed to feed them, I just couldn't find a resource to tell me when I could introduce something other than starter mash.
    Kristine

8. Eggnog101

Eggnog101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    They're so adorable [​IMG] I love their coloring.

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwwwww. [​IMG] They had a long ride home, but they look sooo happy! Enjoy them all!

10. kpgoldstar

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    Yes, that ride home was torture!! They are all very happy and get lots of lovies. I can't believe I have only had them for 2 days! They are already members of the family and even got to spend time on the lawn yesterday afternoon. They're not pecking each other but their distinct personalities are showing through. I have 2 competing for top hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by