My New Baby(1972 VW Super Beetle)

could you maybe point to a "how to" for the
Second hint: The valves are not hydraulic. They need to be adjusted frequently. Every 2000 miles is not to often. Fortunately, it's easy to do once you get the hang of it. 15-20 minutes tops.

could you describe how to do this on a 1972 SUPER BEETLE ?

thanks

I just checked, I still have an official factory manual for your car. If you want to pay postage I'll mail it to you. I also have a copy of the excellent John Muir book, "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive". Same deal if you're interested.

To avail yourself of this offer PM me. Likewise if you have any questions. I'm retired and would be happy to help all I can.
smile.png
Offer's still open.
could you maybe point to a "how to" for the
Second hint: The valves are not hydraulic. They need to be adjusted frequently. Every 2000 miles is not to often. Fortunately, it's easy to do once you get the hang of it. 15-20 minutes tops.

could you describe how to do this on a 1972 SUPER BEETLE ?

thanks
A Google search on " adjusting the valves on an air cooled beetle " will do it.

HINTS:
  • Adjusting the valves is easier with the spark plugs removed.
  • Until you have some experience adjusting the valves check your work by going around a second time before buttoning the covers up.
  • Always use new cork valve cover gaskets. stick them in with a few drops of black RTV to keep them in place while you reinstall the covers.

Last edited:
Yet another hint: A go-no go feeler gauge makes the job easier.

In case you don't know what that is; each leaf is ground in two sizes, one a .001" oversize and the tip end is a .001" undersize. So, using the Beetle as an example; since you want .006" of an inch clearance (also known as valve lash) you would use the leaf that has both .005" and .007". You adjust it so that the tip slips in and the body does not. Violà! Six thousandths of an inch.
smile.png

You should be able to get a set of gauges at just about any auto supply house. Auto Zone lists them on their website. Just make sure that you get one that has the size you need.

P.S. The valves should "rattle" slightly when properly adjusted. If they ain't rattlin' the're to tight.

Last edited:
As much as I hate it I have an "Automatic Transmission" restriction on my drivers license.
I wonder, would the Automatic Stickshift meet requirements of that restriction?

The Volkswagen Automatic Stickshift

Never actually owned one, but drove/worked-on several. They were really neat as long as you remembered to take your hand off of the shift lever after each gear change.

Back
Top Bottom