My new baby silkies!! 9 week update post #47 - critique please! :)

Quote:
Where's that report button?!?!

lau.gif

This has not been my day... first my suspected lavender is a blue, and now my blacks are blues...
hmm.png
Back to the drawing board. I just wanted some nice BLACK silkies to improve the stock and work on my lavender project. *sigh* Maybe the lavender will just go into the layer flock and I'll forget about it for a while...

Quote:
I PMd you...
smile.png

They are nice looking silkies, but the color was key. I did contact the breeder... he said before that his pens were not mixed, though. I'm waiting to hear back.

Quote:
OK... that made me feel better Chris... cuz I know you know quality.
wink.png
No, if they truly are blues, they'll be a terrific improvement to my blue flock.
smile.png
The disappointment is only in the color, not the conformation.

AS I UNDERSTAND IT...

Black is a dominant gene that can "cover" other stuff, and depending on what his black breeders are "covering" can determine a lot of how your chicks look.

For instance, when I bred my lavender roo to my black hens I got some fully black chicks, but then I got some "mutts." The mutts suggested that some of the hens were carrying a dominant black gene and appeared black, but were carrying something else under the black. The chicks that hatched fully black suggested that the hens were black covering black.

I hope that makes sense....

The only way I can understand it is to use the paint analogy, which is probably not a good thing since I always say that breeding chickens is not like mixing paint, but.....

A black layer of paint over an already black wall will appear more black, than a black layer of paint over a white wall.... Does that kinda make sense.

And then there is the off chance that I have NO idea what I am talking about, but this is as I understand it....

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

OK... that made me feel better Chris... cuz I know you know quality.
wink.png
No, if they truly are blues, they'll be a terrific improvement to my blue flock.
smile.png
The disappointment is only in the color, not the conformation.

Like I told you, they are not a complete detriment. Dark blues have their place as they help add color to the underfluff of a splash. The genetics are there for good blacks you just have to strategically plan your breedings and cull cull cull, to concentrate your genes.

And I KNOW quality, that doesn't mean I necessarily have it, or can always AFFORD it..... but I do have the determination to do great things with my Silkies, even if I have to start with less than superior birds. I'm sure a lot of people WONT share my passion, but when your as determined as I am, a little thing like an off colored bird doesn't stop you. Heck, a 4 toed DQ'd bird wont stop me! Its all about the goal, not how you get there...​

Back
Top Bottom